iPhone 4 Volume/Speaker Problem?!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by thehook, Aug 16, 2010.

1. thehook macrumors newbie

The speaker volume on my iPhone 4 (speakerphone, music, sounds etc..) stops working at least once a day.

Example: If I'm listening to my voicemail and I push "speaker" I can barely hear anything through the speakers even if I raise the volume all the way up. The volume is very faint & almost inaudible (without headphones) and the volume up button does not raise the volume. The problem is remedied by doing a soft reset.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. thehook thread starter macrumors newbie

3. george6000 macrumors member

Have you got skype running In the background because it causes this problem

4. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

I've frequently had the same issue since 4.0.
    It happens when I've previously had headphones plugged into the phone.

After I've finished listening to music, I remove the headphones. The phone makes sounds like normal, but the volume buttons are still adjusting the headphone volume, not the external speaker volume.

I have to go to settings > sounds and move the slider to change the volume.

A restart of the phone resolves the issue for a while.

I've contacted Apple about it, so at least they are aware. It looks like an intermittent software issue to me so we'll just have to wait.

5. spob15 macrumors member

I think my first gen iPhone used to do this...cleaning out the head phone jack was the remedy. Get a can duster or blow in it. Sometimes dust would stick in the jack

6. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

It's not the same issue. In the issue you're describing above, the phone thinks the headphones are still plugged in and it produces no sound at all because it's trying to route the sound through the headphones.

In this instance, the sound is coming out of the phone speakers successfully, but the volume buttons are not being informed by the software that they should be controlling the speaker volume, not the headphone volume.

7. Captain Planet macrumors 6502a

Captain Planet

I've also got this problem. Just yesterday, everything was working great... and only after coming back from work I noticed my sound for most things (keyboard, mail, text, some games) stopped working. I tried to reset the settings... didn't work. I plugged and unplugged headphones... but that didn't help.

If I want to listen to my iPod... the music works (with and without headphones). My ringtone works if someone calls me. For the rest, nothing seems to be working. Turning off the iPhone hasn't solved it either. Anyone know a way around this?

8. Captain Planet macrumors 6502a

Captain Planet

Just thought I'd let you guys know*... I got my sound back. It just came back all of a sudden... so I have no idea what happen. I just hope it won't happen again!

9. drjp2000 macrumors newbie

Turning SKYPE off worked for me thanks for the tip !