Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cferra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 5, 2010
Ok is it just me or has anyone else noticed that the 3GS, even when connected to a G wireless network consistently outperforms the iPhone 4 even when connected to an N wireless network. I have an Airport Extreme Base Station (new dualband N version) and the 3GS goes twice as fast with a speed test then the iPhone 4.

I'll post some screen shots here for a comparison. Both are connected to the same wi-fi network (epicenter) I assume that the iPhone 4 is connected via the N protocol (there is no way that I know of to tell for sure) and the 3GS is of course connected via the G protocol.

Please note, for proof, The 3GS Screenshot is Running OS version 3.1.3 with a jailbreak (proven with the WiCarrier logo epicenter.

The 4 Screenshot is running a freshly restored firmware., proven by the location icon in the top right hand corner of the shot.

I've also included a shot of my airport information.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Chris

Attachments

• 4speed.PNG
    4speed.PNG
    274.9 KB · Views: 221
  • 3GSspeed.jpg
    3GSspeed.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 123
  • airport.PNG
    airport.PNG
    56.9 KB · Views: 176

corriewf

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2009
I am actually seeing the opposite. Uploaded some pics to Facebook yesterday and it was so fast and smooth. Now maybe that was due to the facebook app update, I don't know.

aicjofs

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
I've been looking for a topic to join on this for past 3 days. Guess it made me register for the macrumors forum :)

First off I'm not really experiencing your problem. I'm only working with an iPhone 4 though the 3G was sold today. I'm not sure if this is the best test bed though is it? I mean it appears that both of our ISP connection speeds are far less then "n" or "g" speeds, we really need a connection to a local lan computer. I'm not sure how to do that now since I use to test via a jailbroken 3G and obviously cant on the 4. Is there something that can display the connection speed on the phone? My router is a 610n Linksys and doesn't display it. I'm not a mac guy, not by a long shot, just the iphone but sound like you have an apple access point. A quick search I found you can check your connection speed by simply launching the access point utility on your computer, click on your router, click on "Advanced", then "Logs and Statistics", then "Wireless Clients". I guess it is suppose to display the connection speed.

I have been trying to research and understand the chip in the phone. According to this teardown:

http://www.ubmtechinsights.com/uplo...-06-25_Apple_iPhone_4_Teardown_Results_PR.pdf

It's a Broadcom 4329 which the quick data sheet is here:

http://www.datasheetdir.com/BCM4329+download

Anyway, looking at the numbers it appears to have a max of MCS index of 7. Obviously a 1 spatial stream unit, and 1 transmit and receive antenna. So the max theoritcal is 150mbps. Of course to get that you need 40Mhz channel... Does the 4329 disable channel bonding? Can't tell from datasheet. If it does, your max theoritcal drops to 72mbps. Also alot of access points don't channel bond in the 2.4Ghz freq, and as we know the iPhone 4 doesn't do 5Ghz, which is the band that most routers do 40mhz. So 72mbps might just be the max, not much better then wireless g huh?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11n-2009#Data_rates

In my search I found this about the iPad and what sounds like your router/access point. Alot of people are only connecting 39, and that is slower then wireless G, granted that discussion centers around 5Ghz band not the 2.4 of our discussion. Although I still think it's would be negligible in your ISP test.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2393951&start=0&tstart=0

I attached my quick test, I tried 4 times and all numbers were inline with each other.

Top line is wireless N connection
Middle line 3G
bottom line wireless G connection

My guess is that we are maxed 72mbps, and that perhaps your are having the issue like the iPad thread I linked and maybe connecting at even 39mbps?

Most impressive I saw was my 3G speed was way fast tonight. hehe. Man first post and I rambled on.... that's why mostly lurk on forums... :eek:

Attachments

• photo.png
    photo.png
    77.6 KB · Views: 136

aicjofs

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
I had friend test his with Apple access point and he connects at 72mbps. That may be the max so any connection issues, distance etc could drop your speed further maybe even below G speed.

Again even with overhead and encryption I would think there would be enough bandwidth left over on either connection not to effect ISP speeds to the phone.

cferra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 5, 2010
I had friend test his with Apple access point and he connects at 72mbps. That may be the max so any connection issues, distance etc could drop your speed further maybe even below G speed.

Again even with overhead and encryption I would think there would be enough bandwidth left over on either connection not to effect ISP speeds to the phone.

My iPhone 4 also connects at a rate of 72, but I still see slower overall performance when comparing it to the 3G.

My Dell laptop that uses Wireless G at the 2.4 ghz band connects at a rate of 54 and has better overall performance as well... 21mb down and 10mb up. I am not sure as of right now, the rate at which the 3G connects at this point, I will get back to you later with that info.. It just seems odd to me that the N radio would run slower than the previous G only radio. It could also be an issue with my phone itself.. or a Wifi driver with the 4.0 OS. I'd be interested to see a comparison with the 3GS on 3.1.3 vs. 4.0 vs. iPhone 4 and see the results.

Chris

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.