iPhone 4 vs. Concrete ground (concrete ground wins!) [with pics]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPadThai, Jul 5, 2010.

1. iPadThai macrumors 6502a

My friend dropped his beautiful wife on the concrete today. Here is the aftermath. No scratches at all on the front glass or the rear glass. It slipped out of his leg (while the iPhone 4 was sitting on top of his legs) when he exited his car. His iPhone was naked (aka no case whatsoever)

It tumbled onto the concrete ground and bounced several times cracking the edges of the front glass and nicks and scrapes around all edges.

UPDATE: I thought it chipped the glass, but here are the updated pics - it did not chip any of the glass parts!! It actually only crushed the RUBBER GASKET AROUND THE GLASS. No other visible damages - even the stainless steel had a few small tiny nicks. I saw his phone today so I can confirm and here are the large pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i guess the front and back glass of the iPhone 4 really is scratch proof! The edges and sides, eh....not so much! :eek:

2. Sean4123 macrumors 6502

All the more reason to buy a case. I don't understand why anyone would NOT want a case. I love the form of the iphone4 but its not really very comfortable in the hand.

3. iPadThai thread starter macrumors 6502a

The iPhone 4 is way too sexy to case it up. I'd go naked but then again, I don't have another $499 to upgrade with.

4. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I also don't understand why anyone would not buy a case for a $600 or $700 device that is relatively fragile and is of a size and utilization that it is possible for it to take a tumble or two. It makes no sense.

I don't care how "sezy" they think the bare phone looks.

I also think almost nobody walked around with no case on their previous iPhones. Only when people found out they can complain and potentially get something free did we start seeing all these people talking about how they hate cases and can't use a case.

I would say regardless of reception issues, it is not smart to not have a case on a device like this.

5. CaCohen0509 macrumors regular

CaCohen0509

i thought it was your friends?... i'd say the iphone won. it doesn't look that bad i guess. i don't have a case on mine but i dont even put it in my pockets, its always in my hands.

6. og1 macrumors regular

interesting the glass didnt shatter like most of the other war stories posted. im pretty impressed.

7. Savage macrumors 6502

Savage

That damage is a lot better than a cracked screen or cracked back glass in my opinion. It also would have been completely prevented with an Apple Bumper but I can't criticize him for that.

8. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

won't look so sexy when you drop it and it breaks... put a case on it morons, seriously.. lol

9. isaac65 macrumors member

Whaaaa? :confused:

10. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Freudian slip, or iPhone has exaggerated importance ... ?

11. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Wives are a dime a dozen. As long as his iPhone is fine. :cool:

Unless he married his phone. Then there is no hope. :eek:

12. war eagle macrumors 6502a

Four iPhones in and I have yet to put a case on any of mine. Cracked the screen on my 3G the day before the 3GS because it slipped off my sweaty face.

If you're careful and aware of where your phone is you have no need for a case. I've seen phones in cases that break so what? In the end it comes down to the owner.

13. ipodlover77 macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

where exactly is the crack? can't see it..unless im missing it.

14. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

The iP4 is a lot more fragile then the previous metal and plastic iPhones. I would never put my 3GS- in a case but the iP4, especially without the chrome bezel protecting the side of the screen, well it's a MUST to have a case.

15. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

actually, I think this is a victory for the phone. Most glasses would shatter. Clearly they thought long and hard about the glass they're using on the new iphones.

I am going to go against all those who are saying you should use a bumper. The phone is designed to survive a drop. If you look closely, there is an "internal bumper" between the metal and glass to further reduce shock.

I think this phone looks really gorgeous on it's own. I will not be getting a bumper.

PS: getting a screen protector on a phone whose glass is several points harder than metals on the moh's scale is just plain silly.

16. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Yup. Screw an ugly case. It's like dating a hot chic and making her sit in the car when you go in places. Pointless.

17. mhdena macrumors 6502

If you have girly-man hands and want to carry it like a chick go ahead:D

If on the other hand you have MAN sized hands and the iphone seems small, slippery, fragile, a case is the way to go :cool:

18. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

+1

19. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

20. chris.robison macrumors regular

21. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Never used a case on any of my iPhones. Just Invisible Shield on the back and Power Support film on the front.

Considering a bumper for the iPhone 4 though.

22. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

That's not bad at all. Like someone else said, looks like the iPhone won this battle.. A bumper will easily hide all those dings. (A bumper would've probably prevented all those dings as well) :p

23. Sean4123 macrumors 6502

Now that you have posted this, be prepared to drop your iPhone 4. It's inevitable.

24. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Not bad at all. The plastic border took all the damage.

25. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

This is my third iPhone, and it happens to be my third iPhone without a case. I don't like cases covering up my beautiful phone, and I don't find it uncomfortable to hold.

Also, not to tempt fate, but I don't tend to drop my phone. I'm very careful with my things. Accidents happen, but that's the purpose of insurance.