iPhone 4 vs Google Android (Good read)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mbell75, Jun 15, 2010.

1. mbell75 macrumors 6502

2. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

can't wait for an actual bout. I guess we need to wait until the iPhone 4 is released first. Ask Engadget...they got ripped for having a EVO / iPhone comparison on their site before the iPhone was released. They realized this and pulled the post...the Android fans went crazy because the EVO was blowing the iPhone 4 away...:confused: Kinda hard to do this before the @#$%! thing is released.

3. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Not to knock you for posting this, but it was really a pointless article. Nothing we already didnt know.

4. shanew21 macrumors regular

Well, the Evo really isn't all that special. It's nice, but the battery is AWFUL (you think the iPhone battery sucks?), and it just doesn't run as smoothly as iOS

5. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

But there's a new "better-than-the-rest" Android smartphone coming out every few weeks.

6. RobertD63 macrumors 6502

7. mbell75 thread starter macrumors 6502

Fine with me, competition is good and at least Android users have choices of all types of phones and carriers. Not just one phone on one carrier updated once a year...Android will have another 2-3 full updates before next years iPhone comes out and will once again be much further along in what it can do.

8. mytakeontech macrumors 6502a

9. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

how many HTC devices are released in the span of one iPhone release? i'd say a couple of dozen at least? lol!!

but of course google's android software will surpass Apple's, because there will be so many more HTC (and Sony) *droid handsets on the market..

but essentially, it's quality, not quantity imho!

10. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

So let me get this straight. The article was:

-There is money in mobile
    -Google and Apple are rivals
    -Apple has a more closed ecosystem while Google's is more open
    -Author thinks Google will pass Apple within 12-18 months

That's it? Please, just leave the forum. Every single one of your posts is evangelizing Android. WE GET IT. There's nothing wrong with discussing rivals, but you're going to new heights; literally every single one of your posts is propping up Google or linkdumping some lame story. Just go to an Android message board. Sure, you won't provoke people there like you do here (we all know that's what you want since your posts are devoid of any genuine debate starters), but people there will at least care what you have to say.

11. mbell75 thread starter macrumors 6502

I hardly think the article was biased at all. No need to be so defensive :)

12. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I didn't say it was biased. It just brings nothing to the table, at all. It's redundant information preceding an unsupported opinion of future success (which is a fine conclusion to draw if you back it up). Add that to the fact that all you post about is Android on an iPhone forum, it gets to be a little bit annoying.

13. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

yup yup lol the best part about android is all the devices like many to choose from but then what if someone designs an application for "android" but it doesn't run on my phone...:/

14. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

In the end, it dosen't matter what the specs are. I think that we use iPhones for the same reasons we use Macs. Sure you could get a better spec'd PC for the same price or cheaper, but there are SO many more reasons that we opt for Macs over PC's other than simple spec numbers.

15. mbell75 thread starter macrumors 6502

Then XDA is your friend :) I have apps from a few different Android phones running on my Evo right now, including the Swype apk for the Droid and some Nexus One apps.

16. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

That should be Newsweek's tagline.

17. Dan in PA macrumors regular

I use an Android device and an iOS device daily. Guess what? I love them both equally. :)

18. mbell75 thread starter macrumors 6502

Same here, but my love is not shared equally :) The iPad frustrates me with its lack of things I can do on my Evo, so I end up using that more. However, I am really hoping iOS4 will be a HUGE improvement cause I love the iPads screen size and ease of use.

19. Dan in PA macrumors regular

I wouldn't mind having an iPad around...I'm using a Droid and a 3GS now.

20. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Ugh, not another stupid 'versus' article. I'm sorry but these are all bloomin' pointless.

1) Android will take the mass market. Of course it will, it's being put on handsets that are free on contract or cost less than £100 on PAYG. It'll end up replacing all those janky low-end touchscreen OS's that the likes of Samsung and LG use. Anyone that thinks otherwise at this point hasn't been paying attention.

2) Android will likely take the geek brigade too. It's a pretty much inevitable result for those that place specs and fiddling above all else when new top-spec Android handsets are released every few weeks.

3) iPhone is going to dominate at the high end. There's nothing else quite like it on the market right now for those willing to pay for it. Certainly there isn't an Android device that gets close in terms of build quality, materials and the overall user experience and, frankly, I don't see anyone coming up with anything to match it any time soon. Maybe Sony Erricsson I guess, they've got a reasonable design team.

4) Apple doesn't give a damn about volume, they never have. They'll be quite happy to ship lower volumes but make a healthy profit off each device, not to mention the ecosystem around them.

5) Both companies have major challenges ahead. For Apple it's going to be working out how to move the platform forward in terms of features and, possibly, make it more accessible with a cheaper iPhone that doesn't gut sales of the flagship product. Google on the other hand have some core issues with the OS, chief amongst them the god-awful mess you run into upgrading these handsets to the latest release (especially if you're not a geek and don't run custom firmware). They also desperately need to figure out a proper iTunes competitor and sync service if they're serious about going after the iPhone. There's more (on both sides) of course but as examples those work quite well.

In summary: Google and Apple may be competing in the mobile space but they're really in very seperate markets within it. Apple are (brace yourself geeks) driving the market right now. They might not be at the very cutting edge of technology but whatever they introduce on the iPhone seems to actually get used. Remember the massive increase in photo and video uploads with the 3GS? There's a really good reason the providers don't want to enable Facetime over 3G at the moment... Google, on the other hand, is currently busy closing off the market to rivals like Microsoft. Seriously, launching WP7 is going to be so very very tough when Android is dominating the mass market and iPhone is the 800-pound gorilla at the high end.

21. Dan in PA macrumors regular

I more or less agree with that statement. Windows Phone 7 is likely to flop, in my opinion.

22. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Agreed. They are a little too late to the party I think. By the time they come out, most everyone will have their new shiny toys already and not be in the market for a new phone.

23. Dan in PA macrumors regular

Maybe it's just me, but the name Windows Phone 7 sounds terrible...:p

24. pika2000 macrumors 68030

It is sad that we're seeing Google fighting with Apple, instead of teaming up against the bigger enemy, the wireless carriers. In the US, all Android phones except the Nexus One are provider-locked. So much for the "more open" concept. :rolleyes: