iPhone 4 vs HTC Sensation?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MattMJB0188, May 19, 2011.

1. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Let me say I'm not a troll. I just need some input. I currently have a Blackberry Bold 9700 on T-Mobile. I have wanted the iphone for a long time but have passed. I have currently been looking at the upcoming HTC Sensation available June 8th on T-Mobile. I also have been watching all the iPhone rumors. I will see what happens at WWDC but if NO iphone is introduced then would it be smart to get the iPhone 4? I still see people buying the 3GS for $49. I am a little skeptical about purchasing a phone that is a year old. However, I know that the resale value will hold up high. I know people will tell me to wait til Sep but honestly I don't think I can. I need a high end smartphone before the fall.

I'd also hate to get the HTC sensation June 8th and sell it later on and get nothing for it. Android devices are great but the few I've had LAGGED badly. I am also very nervous about possibly switching to AT&T. Call quality is very important to me and I know the iPhone and AT&T don't mix very well in that department. Verizon is not an option because they're just too high. If I got the Sensation I'd be required to purchase it at FULL price ($499) because of my no contract plan.

I'm just trying to be smart about it. I'd hate to have to sell my HTC sensation months later and get nothing for it. If you think about it the only real advantage the Sensation has over the iP4 is the dual core processor and 256 more MB of memory. The Sensation also has an 8MP camera with 1080p possibilities. I know Apple products hold a lot of their resale value. I'd really appreciate anyone's input on this. Thanks

2. guccigucci88 macrumors 6502a

guccigucci88

Why do you think your post might come off as trolling? I might have missed something but is there something wrong with the blackberry? Personally, I dont think its worth it to get the iphone 4 at this point... The thing is, in a few months the iphone 4 price will drop just like the 3gs did. If you want the iphone 5 by then you shud get it, but if not the iphone 4 will be at a way better price. Its not worth it imo to buy it now (and believe me I want it real bad too the white one). Its your call though, If you really need that phone right now then get it. But i think in a few months you'll regret it. Its true that iphones have high resale value, I still see 1st generation iphones being sold for 100 + bucks on ebay.

3. MattMJB0188 thread starter macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

I just didn't want to stir up and trouble by mentioning a droid in an iphone forum. My blackberry is on its last legs. These iPhone rumors really make your head spin but I do take all of them with a grain of salt. I'm saying a worse case scenario. IF Apple does release the next generation iPhone in the fall I believe that would be a really bad decision. That's nearly a year and a half since the release of the iP4. I'd just like to be able to have a powerful smartphone during the summer time. These waiting games are ridiculous but at least people know the iPhone comes out every summer.

4. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

HTC Sensation / Evo 3D, Samsung Galaxy S2, and iPhone 4S will be the top four phones for 2011. How you choose is up to your personal preference. You will be very happy with either one of them.

5. macDelirium macrumors member

I just can't bear the ridiculous names that HTC christens their smart phones. For that alone I actually wouldn't buy one. ;)

6. hcho3 macrumors 68030

HTC sensation is not out yet, so hard to say. Specs aren't important to me as long as the device runs smoothly.

You are not going to play Crysis or WOW on this thing.

HTC sensation has bigger screen.

HTC sensation runs Android and iPhone runs iOS.

I will wait for the review and make up my mind, but I am more interested in Galaxy S2 than HTC sensation.

7. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

The HTC Sensation will be an awesome next gen device for 2011. It is meant to compete with the iPhone5, not the outdated old iPhone4.

Best thing about the Sensation is the updated software, running Sense 3.0 it is a think of beauty, and smartly designed.

And then of course the hardware is top notch on it, best of the best parts.

8. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Except the half-a-day battery life. HTC phones are known for having smaller than adequate batteries

9. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Yep. However, nothing stops you from putting in a better one.

For example, the HTC Incredible 2/S comes with a 1450mAh.

I replaced it with a 1750mAh for $12 off eBay, giving a 20% increase in time.

Plus I now have a spare to swap in if I need to after a long day, or when the power goes out here in the winter.

10. MattMJB0188 thread starter macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Yeah hopefully they have made sense 3.0 much more smoother like iOS.

I am sure you are referring to the Verizon Thunderbolt. Hopefully the Sensation will have much better life since HSPA+ doesn't use as much juice as LTE. I know the iPhone wins hands down on battery life. I would have had it years ago if it didn't go to lousy AT$T.

11. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Nope, never used the Thunderbolt, I don't live in the US. I'm referring to the HD2, Wildfire, and Desire HD. Used all of these phones and they have subpar battery-life. I know you can buy extended batteries, so why don't they just put in a bigger one from the start. Other than battery life they are actually pretty decent phones though

12. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

You do realize battery life in Desire S and Incredible S has been greatly improved. Why don't you read some recent reviews first? ;)

By the way, I agree with you that my Nexus One had mediocre battery. However, battery life has significantly improved in Gingerbread. The battery can last a full day with heavy use. :p

13. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I only went off the phones I've actually used. The Desire S and Incredible S didn't interest me so I didn't bother reading up about them. Good to know that HTC is bumping up battery life though, I am a fan of their products.

14. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Good thread-exactly the sort of comparison thread that fits here.

15. macDelirium macrumors member

I'll buy a HTC when they come out with the HTC Incredible Sensational Desire :D:D:D

HTC = under-engineered, badly built rubbish.

16. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Sorry but that award goes to RIM ;-).

I love my iPhone but have used HTCs, samsungs, motos, and LGs and their android phones are good.

Blackberry= old news here and can't compete in the 2011 market.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've found the fast churning of android devices impacts resale value. That is a better device is available a few months after buying one.

Still if you're going to stick with T-Mo, HTC makes the most sense. I have to say next to apple I love their phones. I've not had any android phone that lagged but then I owned a Nexus One which was a generic android OS, not Sense UI, and the droidx and moto did a good job at tweaking the OS.

I have noticed lagging with Sense UI phones in general but with many (most?) HTC phones its fairly easy to root and customize the phone, removing sense UI if you choose.

I owned a Nexus 1 and your statement couldn't be further from the truth. That phone was the bomb-diggity, great looks great performance, great quality.

18. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

This quote shows how little you know about the mobile insudtry. Apple is not the only innovative company on the planet, you know? ;)

19. mattkowalski macrumors member

It's quite a feat of marketing when they convince people they are!

20. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

Of all the non-iPhone Mobile Handsets, I agree that HTC's are more solid than any other. Never liked the looks of the Moto-DROID lines, they look clunky. I know that's a shallow response, but looks are important to...to me at least.

I have the iPhone, but always keep an eye on the others. Like one other said, and I agree, I too think that the constant handset refreshes of HTC, and the others ruins resale value. Some like it, and say it's good for competition. I disagree. Over time, the goal will be to make more, and make them CHEAPER [purchase price initially]. Over time, quality will suffer. Kind of like the flip phone market ended up. Why buy a good flip phone, when I can get a cheap, free LG.

My 2 cents...

21. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

There's no need to root. Just use a third party launcher and other pieces.

The main thing that's not customizable/replaceable without rooting on Android is the notification pulldown shade, which gripes me a bit, as I'd love to swap in a Samsung-style shade with wifi/orientation/etc controls on every device.

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

True, I used one but of you want a completely different look and feel then a custom rom is the answer but you're correct. Its simply has just installing a new launcher.

I forgot about that option when posting my response. Its been a few months since I had to go back to iOS from android and so I've forgotten some of the little things like that.

My company closed off access to the email servers to non-iOS, non-RIM phones so I had no choice in giving up my Droidx.

Not to take this off topic, but I loved my Nexus one, that was a great android phone. I was not sorry to see the droidx go though. Moto wasn't very good at fixing bugs or providing updates. HTC on the other hand has a better rep on those things.

23. MattMJB0188 thread starter macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

24. tigress666 macrumors 68040

That doesn't look too bad to me honestly. The only thing I saw really annoying was how it handled pinch to zoom (that would really annoy me I admit) and I don't really think I like the idea that you also pinch to change tabs (seems annoying you'd have to pinch all the way again just to change tabs or what you didn't mean to go to the change tabs setting?).

Honestly, that video did more to make me think that Android might not be too bad (except the fact iphone gets more game support and that alone will make me pick it). Though maybe with a lot of little annoyances plus some big ones (like how it handles pinch to zoom) what I might find is what happened to me with windows XP. I found XP pretty decent to use and didn't annoy me like previous Windows so I did end up using it a few years. But once I got back on a Mac, it just felt so much more right. I'm sure it was small subtle differences in interface and appearance, but I just was happy to be back on the mac even though I hadn't had any real issues with Windows. So sometimes those small things can add up. And you may not even realize it until after using the one you don't like as much and go back to the one you prefer.

But at least from that video I don't see that iOS is that much better overall in smoothness (or at least most of the non smoothness is nothing that would bother me much, save for how it did pinch to zoom).