iPhone 4 VS Incredible... SPECS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JReynolds, Jun 18, 2010.

1. JReynolds macrumors 6502

I have a coworker that is convinced the incredible is faster than the iPhone 4. I just read it has 512mb of RAM...? The A4 is clocked at 1GHz ...? 16-32GB of memory...

2. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

Who cares...comparing specs is pointless...irrelevant.

Also... :) where in the AF are you right now? I'm also in the AF, stationed at the Pentagon.

3. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Remember, it's the interplay of hardware and software that makes it 'magical.'

I've seen the EVO 4G, Incredible, and Droid in action, and none of them appear to be as fluid and smooth as the iPhone 3GS, let alone the upcoming iPhone 4.

Until you have someone designing the hardware and software and having them fully understand each other, the sum will always be greater than its parts.

4. JReynolds thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your opinion.

I'm going to google around and when I find them I'll post for those who are curious.

I'm stuck in Dover. :(

5. JReynolds thread starter macrumors 6502

I can agree with that but for a 50 yr old man that HATES apple I'd love to show him actual specs of the new iPhone.

6. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

The point is...why do you even care? For an inter-office debate comparing cell phone processors? Does it really matter to you? I work with a bunch of Droid fanatics and they seem to try to bait me into a iPhone vs Droid argument all the time...I just tell them it doesn't matter to me, I just like the iPhone and all that stuff. It's funny to me how many Droid fans seem to take it personally that others like the iPhone.

7. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

What's wrong with Dover? Is it small or something, I heard the base housing is nice. I spent 6 years in New Mexico and loved it there. I'm on a special duty now and I really hate the Washington D.C. area.

8. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

The iPhone 4 has 512MB of RAM and we don't know what the processor is clocked at yet. The incredible has a camera with 8MP vs the iPhone's 5MP but it remains to be seen which will actually perform better.

Spec wise they are very similar, but the iPhone has a higher resolution display. It mostly comes down to what you want in the software, Android has "openness" going for it, but iPhone has smoother and more consistent UI through most all of its apps.

9. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Both have 1Ghz chip (though I think A4 is better than Snapdragon), and both have 512Mb of RAM. It will come down to OS optimization and interface ... both at which, IMO, the iPhone 4 wins...

10. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

Chances are he hates Apple for no apparent reason, or he hates Apple because of the impression he had of their products 12 years ago. I've found with people like that...no matter what you might tell them or try to prove to them, it won't matter.

11. dougbrowne macrumors member

:rolleyes:

The Incredible has 512MB Ram and 1 Ghz Snapdragon processor. So hardware wise, it's comparable to the iPhone 4. But software wise, the iPhone owns the competition. Nobody but Apple can bring the greatest hardware and software in the world together in the thinnest "smartphone" on Earth. I wouldn't use an Incredible if someone paid me to. My friend has one and it's a PoS. Android was geared to be usable on any phone. iOS 4 was meant for a single piece of hardware for which it shines. Sure the Incredible may have an 8MP camera, but the pictures on iPhone 4's 5 MP camera still look better. Sure the Incredible has an 8MP camera, but pictures on the iPhone 4's 5MP camera still look better! Now that says something. Don't let companies lour you in with impressive "specs".

12. Mr Bigs macrumors 6502a

Mr Bigs

I doubt that very seriously.:rolleyes:

13. Mr Bigs macrumors 6502a

Mr Bigs

Just remember the world is round and your still trapped in a square. It took 4 generations to get customizable backgrounds and a flash not to mention half assed multitasking.:rolleyes:

14. aneftp macrumors 68040

This issue isn't hardware specs. It's also dependent on software.

Just look at the HTC EVO (with Sprint and with Android) and the HTC HD2 (with tmobile and Windows Mobile 6.5). They are essentially the same identical phone. Same screen, same processor. Almost everything the same. Notice the EVO runs (or appears to run faster than it's HD2 Win mobile cousin).

The HTC Incredible run the same hardware as the HTC Nexus One (aka Google phone). With the exception of a 8MP vs. 5 MP camera. These are essentially the same phone. These phones runs about the same speed because they are the same phone and same OS. The incredible has a little prettier interface because of Sense but it's the same.

But when you look at the iPhone 4. Combine the hardware with iOS software. This iPhone 4 is going to kill it's competitor.
    Screen Resolution: iPhone 4 wins over HTC Incredible
    Screen size: 3.5 IPS vs. 3.7 OMLED (try looking at the screen in daylight and you will know what I mean).
    Processor: A4 (1GZ, probably downclocked to 800 mhz to conserve battery) vs. Snapdragon 1 GZ (runs at full speed but kills battery life).
    RAM: 512 MB iphone vs. 512 MB HTC Incredible

App size limitation on phone:
    iPhone 4 (limited to 16GB or 32 GB). All Android phones are limited to 256MB app size limit (Android/Google said they are working to have encryption to enable apps to run on the microSD card but so far nothing).

Battery life: No comparison. the iPhone 4 will be superior to the HTC Incredible in terms of battery life

open source vs. closed system (it's your choice, Google vs. Apple).
    Cloud synching (google is free, Apple will want you to pay for Mobile ME.)

As for Flash, Adobe is supposely bringing flash to Android (soon....hmmm they have been saying flash on Android almost 2 years since Android launch).

15. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Trust me, I used to make fun of Apple because people around me were doing the same thing. And yes, we were all Windows users. And yes, we all dealt with blue screens, registry errors, compatibility issues, viruses, IRQ/DMA conflicts, finicky drivers, applications and other poorly written code... yet, we were all poking fun at what we really didn't know about on the other side.

I made the switch in 2007 and honestly struggled with enjoying my newfound freedom while spending a good portion of that time blaming myself that I actually had unfounded prejudice all those years.

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It's never been about the specs.

http://daringfireball.net/2010/06/first

17. Mr Bigs macrumors 6502a

Mr Bigs

You really need to stay up on Android news if you gonna quote specs. The Froyo update allows apps to go onto the SD card of Android phones. The update should be rolling out any day now not to mention flash. Make no mistake about it Apple is very scared of Android and you might be seeing quicker overhauls to iPhones in the future. Apple no doubt has a large app market but how much of that stuff do you really want and how much is stupid B.S.

18. soleilvie macrumors member

I'm switching to AT&T to get the iPhone, coming from the Incredible. It's an excellent phone; fast, smooth, crisp. But the app store is a deal breaker for me now. I thought I wouldn't mind but after using it for about a month, I know I'm going to be much happier with the new iPhone (I'm familiar with it all after using an iPod touch for two years).

19. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    And which piece of hardware is that?

The iPhone 4? The iPad? Older iPhones?

Or do you simply mean that iOS 4 was only meant to run well on the iPhone 4 with its extra memory and CPU and display, and not so well on other iOS devices.

iOS is getting as fragmented as any OS that's used on multiple generations, hardware and displays.

20. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

So you're agreeing with me? I was confused for a minute there. I have felt the same way with my switch to the Mac. I still have to use Windows/Windows Server on a regular basis because of my job...but the argument is never ending with the Mac vs PC or iProduct vs anything else. Personally I will only have a conversation with someone if they actually care to listen. A lot of people who want to "debate", just want to yell about the finer points of their (phone, pc, software) and don't really care what you (Apple users) are saying.

21. phrint macrumors 6502

The Incredible is a nice phone but it still has the frustrations of an unpolished OS. Maybe 2.2 will improve that. A relative has an Incredible because she is tied to Verizon and I played with it for a few hours. It still has the same quirks as my wife's Droid and is not a good experience like the iPhone. Again I use Macs so the iPhone creates a seamless user experience for me.

22. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

23. dougbrowne macrumors member

I lol'd...

Why exactly does one need to buy an SD card for large apps. Thats stupid imo..
    Plus Flash will be just as bad as it is on a computer or any other phone. Slow, battery draining, CPU HOG.. Hence why Apple didn't put it in the iPhone.

24. dougbrowne macrumors member

The iPhone 4. That is the device it was designed to run on. Sure it will run on other devices but it won't shine as much as it will on the iPhone 4 :cool:

25. Mr Bigs macrumors 6502a

Mr Bigs

Why is one not able to add a second battery or not be able to buy the sd card he needs. Nobody said anything about large apps. I said if you fill up phone memory apps can then be put on the sd card. Stupid is being restricted to in-phone memory because that is the way Steve says you need it.