iPhone 4 vs. iPhone 3GS purchase

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chocolatemilty, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

This month I am in Buenos Aires studying abroad with my university. I owned a 3G and had jailbroke it to unlock it to use here in Argentina. It has working perfectly when, on the subway to a park where the locals were viewing the Argentina v. Germany World Cup match, my 3G got smashed. :( It had a crack in the back like many iPhones that are 2 years old had, so that didn't help at all. It was completely shot: wouldn't turn on; had a complete crack down the back; wouldnt connect to itunes; just completely gone. I had MobileMe so i remotely wiped it (not sure if it worked nicely with the phone being shot) and sold it here for 550 ARS (roughly $140) due to myself needing every dime for the trip plus that being a better deal than selling it on eBay in the states).

Now, i'm nearing the end of my trip, wondering how i managed without my iPhone most of it, and ready to get a new one when I get back. Problem is, with me being a college student, i'm on a tight budget. I can afford the monthly service, but won't be able to afford the upfront cost for some two months after I come back in August. Now, I can wait two months and get an iPhone 4 for some $200+tax, or i can wait two days after i get back and cop a iPhone 3GS for $100+tax. Here's my measuring stick: I loved every ounce of my 3G, and my only main gripe was RAM. Also, there are no main connection or network issues with the 3GS like that of the 4. Now, I understand I won't be able to get video calling, the Retina Display, the great camera, and other great features that the iPhone 4 has, but for me, the 3GS is exactly what I need: my iPhone back with more RAM and speed at a smaller price tag. I did the same thing with my first iPhone purchase when the 3G was $100 in February 2009 and was very happy with my purchase even after the 3GS was introduced.

My reasoning behind this post is to gauge any feedback from you all: if this has happened to you, if you have done this before, or if you will do this in the future.

Thanks, everyone!

2. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Well if I were you'd I'd grind out the 2 months and get the iPhone 4. It has twice as much RAM as the 3GS has which would be 4 times as much as the 3G.

As well as the retina display and all the other features.

3. Vinnie Madrox macrumors 6502

Vinnie Madrox

sounds like you have your head on straight and know what you want without needing "the best thing on the market" :)

4. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

From what you've said, it sounds like you've pretty much made up your mind on the 3GS, which is what it sounds like you need. Don't get me wrong, the iPhone 4 is fantastic IF you don't have either of the 2 main problems it has at present (I have the proximity sensor problem, which is WAY more of an issue than the antenna, at least in my experience), but if you don't want to wait 2 months and could use the extra $100, go ahead and go for the 3GS. It's still a damn great phone. I loved mine.

5. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

Uhm where you getting those numbers? The iPhone 4 is 600+ and the 3GS is 250+ right now.

6. Chocolatemilty thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks to everyone who replied. I shall be going with the 3GS.

Those prices are for the upgrade price from AT&T. I'm eligible for an upgrade and can get a better deal than buying it full retail. $100 for the 3GS is for a refurb 3GS. My 3G was a refurb as well and it was still working perfectly up till its untimely demise. I think I'll take my chances with a 3GS refurb. As always, if it's not up to par, I can send it back, try another one, or dump it altogether and get an iPhone 4 within those 30 days.

7. Sinfire macrumors regular

You could always get a refurbished 3GS to use for a few months while you save up for an iPhone 4. Then when you have enough money saved, sell the 3GS and upgrade.