IPhone 4 vs. iPod Touch 4

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by FlashHead, Jun 12, 2010.

1. FlashHead macrumors regular

I love my iPod Touh 1st gen. It has held up remarkably well and it never leaves my pocket. However, with the release of ios 4 this year, there's finally a really compelling reason for me to upgrade.

What I want is all the features of the iPhone 4 without the phone, and in the thinner lighter iPod Touch form factor. The retina display, Facetime/front facing camera, 5mp camera with flash, 720 video recording (very nice feature for me), built in mic, gps, 3G (can I get data only for the phone, like I do with my iPad?), a4 chip, gyroscope...combined these features would make a pretty ideal iPod Touch.

So, I'm considering buying the iPhone without a contract as my new iPod Touch. Does anyone do this? I know the iPod Touch 4 will have some of these features, but I'm afraid it will be missing some of the more key ones.

I dislike wasting money of course, but the 700 dollar price tag for a is not a barrier for a device I will use absolutely every day for easily the next two or three years (I'm not one to upgrade every year for relatively minor improvements).

My question is...is there something I'm missing in my reasoning. Admittedly, I'm no expert and have never owned an iPhone for a variety of reasons. I've always preferred the size and weight of my iPod Touch to that of the iPhones I've handled, but the new iPhone is much closer and the feature list would keep me happy for quite some time I'm sure.

I am also going on a 2 month business trip to Korea in July (there right now) and would prefer to get the iPhone before then if I'm confident I'll be happy with that decision rather thuan waiting until September to see what the new model will look like. Getting to use it for that trip alone would be worth part of the extra price.
    Thank you for your feedback.

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Presumably, the iPod Touch 4 will have all of that except the GPS, 3G, and the front facing camera. There's a decent chance it won't have the back camera either (or be 5 MP).

It would work if you did that. Don't know how you would get it on a data only plan, however. That plan would also have to support GPS, I think (or does the GPS work regardless of service, you just need the app for it to work?). Overseas it might be easier, but I'm not sure how to do it in the US. T-Mobile has some data-centric plans, but I don't think any data only plans.

Sounds like you've already made your decision ;)

3. FlashHead thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your reply. Just not sure if there is something I don't know that might sway my decision. I think everything about both cameras would be very beneficial to me. It seems unlikely that the new iPod Touch will match these. If I really thought it would, that would likely be enough for me (suppose a video camera without a built in mi would be pretty useless though).

The gps in my iPad works with no connection. However, If you're in a new area you won't be able to load the map. If I'm going out exploring in Seoul, I look at the area first while I,m connected, it loads the maps and then when I'm out and about the gps overlays on the map. It would be great to have this on an iPod Touch sized device that would fit in my pocket.

4. na1577 macrumors 6502a

1) The form factor will likely be similar to the current iPod touch. Apple's too stubborn to abandon the polished back, they'll probably get rid of the bezel.
    2) Retina display is a sure thing
    3) FaceTime is unlikely because it is part of the phone application on the iPhone. So even though the call takes place on WiFi, there needs to be something to exchange, like a phone number.
    4) A camera is near certain (although it was certain last year as well...) but I don't believe it will be 5 MP with flash. Considering that the 3G touch camera matched the iPhone 3G instead of the 3GS, the new touch will probably match the 3GS instead of 4. This would also mean no 720p video recording.
    5) Built in mic is equally as likely as some sort of camera.
    6) GPS + 3G will not come. Unlike the iPad, the iPod touch and iPhone are very close in function and size; adding these would make it a contract-free iPhone.
    7) A4 and gryoscope are 99% certain.

Think about which features are the most important, and that will make your decision for you. If you really need something like 3G or FaceTime, you would be better off with the iPhone.

5. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

Oh, you mean like an Aim/Google talk screen name?;)

6. na1577 macrumors 6502a

I suppose. But I think Apple would've implemented such a system originally, rather than using phone numbers and then changing it for the iPod and/or iPad.