iPhone 4 Vs. New iPod Touch + Cheap Phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Clarky31, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Clarky31 macrumors newbie

Clarky31

I have been wanting to get the iPhone 4 for a while. But I was on apple's site earlier and saw there is a new iPod touch. So I'm wondering if it would be better to just get the touch and keep my old phone, or is the iPhone 4 really worth the extra £100+.

2. jbro1999 macrumors regular

For me its nice to just carry one thing. It has everything, battery last forever plus have the internet everywhere I go!

3. bobiix macrumors newbie

One ultimate device wins this battle hands down. [​IMG]

4. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

in terms of hardware, the iphone is worth the extra money. however, with the contract thrown in you have to weigh that cost against the convenience of carrying one device. that's a matter of personal preference.

the other option would be just to get a mi-fi device and just carry the touch with a voip client and sms app. this is actually an appealing thought.

5. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

Agreed. I once went that route for awhile. It just wasn't convenient for my needs.

6. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

The new Touch is a nice device, plus you won't have an extra fee (tariff?) for data like you would need/want with the iPhone.

However, the nicer screen, the MUCH better camera, the doubled RAM and general all-in-one goodness of the iPhone 4 make it the better choice in my opinion.

As an added plus, the iPhone makes it easy to use data driven apps without depending on wifi.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, I really like not having to carry around multiple devices.

8. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

Having the Internet at my finger tips with 3G has been far more useful that I would have imagined. I would still recommend the iPhone 4 since the hardware is superior in every way, I would recommend an iPod Touch if you meet the following conditions:
    1.) You are cash strapped and can't afford the extra data plan
    2.) You are near a bunch of WiFi hotspots
    3.) You don't mind carrying an extra device with you
    4.) Don't take many pictures. The camera on the iPhone 4 is vastly superior to the iPod Touch's camera.

9. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

The differences between the iPhone 4 and iPod Touch 4th gen:

iPhone 4 512MB of ram///iPod Touch 4th gen 256MB

iPhone 4 IPS display///iPod Touch 4th gen doesn't have it (still 640X960 resolution though)

iPhone 4 WiFi/3G plus calls///iPod Touch 4th gen wifi only

iPhone 4 GPS plus compass///iPod Touch 4th gen doesn't have either

iPhone 4 oleophobic coating///iPod Touch 4th gen doesn't have this

iPhone 4 5MP camera for photos///iPod Touch 4th gen 0.7MP

You can see why the iPhone 4 costs a lot more.

10. charliehustle macrumors 6502

The itouch is worth if if you can't afford a data package. The iphone will have more use, and it's camera is not 0.7 MP, (the first iphone had a stronger camera than the current itouch, whats up with that?)

11. Zcott macrumors 68020

A cheap phone and an iPod Touch will always be a compromise. Not recommended. And if you're so strapped for cash that you can't afford an iPhone you probably don't need an iPod Touch.

12. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

I think this a matter of personal preference that each person will need to answer on their own. There is no universally right or wrong way to answer this question.

13. timerollson macrumors 65816

Yes.

I don't even carry my iPod Classic anymore. It's nice to not have to fiddle with two devices.

14. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Being able to use GPS and listen to Slacker/Pandora/WunderRadio on road trips without having to hunt for a WiFi signal makes me very glad that I decided to stop carrying two devices and just buy the iPhone.

15. Savor Suspended

Savor

I started off with iPod touch and a phone. Realized it isn't worth carrying two devices in my pocket.

Just depends if you mind carrying two devices, if you like your old phone, current carrier, and some of the compromises of an iPod touch. It bothered me that I didn't have internet everywhere I went with the touch. My phone had WiFi too, but it wasn't on a data plan either. I say just go for the iPhone 4. It is more expensive in the long-run, but it seems more practical with far less compromises. You end paying for data charges for any smartphone anyway. So it all depends on what you mind and don't mind doing.