iPhone 4 vs Nikon D5000

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cloakedpegasus, Mar 1, 2011.

1. cloakedpegasus macrumors member

Hey guys I occasionally like to shoot some video footage and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations as to which product I should use. It's just for around the house video shooting, sending to my friends and family. Sometimes I like to edit the footage in imovie. Which video is higher quality?

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I'm sure any lens from a SLR would be better than the iPhone 4.

3. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

If you're just filming little clips I say use the iPhone 4 it's really good camera but if it's something toy serious about I would use the Nikon.

The was someone on here who made a music video with the iPhone 4 and it came out very well

4. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

D5000 has more pixels per inch. Try renting a nice lens. You will see a huge difference

www.lensrental.com

5. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Higher quality? The D5000, but you have to know what you're doing. If you're willing to learn, then use the Nikon.

6. Hemmo macrumors regular

are you serious? you are talking about dslr vs mobile phone..

7. decafjava macrumors 68020

decafjava

OMG even my Sony Cybershot is superior (especially with all the manual options) than my iphone unless it's for quick point and shoot pics then it's fine.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The iPhone takes great pictures and videos, no argument. As phones go they take great pictures. There's no comparison to a DSLR by a long shot. The sensor size of the DSLR is HUGE compared to what's in the iPhone. The lens (glass, and coating) is light years ahead of the iPhone's lens. The processing of the image in the camera, is superior as well. In fact shooting RAW provides you with all the information.

In short, if you're taking a trip or vacation, take the camera. I'll be heading to Disneyworld with my kids later this year and while I'll have my phone with me. I'll also have my D70s hanging around my neck.

9. climber20 macrumors member

I've gotten some of my best pictures and videos with my phone camera, simply because I have it on me wherever I go. I don't think anyone will argue that a cellphone or even a high end point and shoot like the S95 can come close to competing with the lowliest of SLR cameras. But given the size, they are a pain in the ass to carry around. I even find my Canon P&S, which fits in my front pocket, a pain to carry around most of the time.

If you don't mind hauling around the big camera, then go for it, as it'll give you the better quality. However, with proper composition and lighting, you can capture some amazing moments with the small camera that you have on you at all times.