iPhone 4 -VVM not working

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by TB07-NJ, Jul 6, 2011.

1. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

My visual voice mail is no longer working. I have called AT&T and they say "it's fine." It's been down for quite a while. MAYBE since the 4.3.3 JB not really sure since I don't get too many VM's.

Running 4.3.3 with BB 1.59.00

I've tried most of the suggestions I found in Google with no luck. Phone is Jailbroken and unlocked (unlocked to fix the signal bar issue - I don't need it to be unlocked).

Anyone else having this issue or know what's going on?

2. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Seems to be an issue with 4.3.3 JB and old baseband. If you update the baseband or use the 4.2.1 firmware, the problem goes away.

3. Epic Orange macrumors member

Epic Orange

Why don't you try resetting network settings, and then swtiching airplane mode on and off?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You try removing the sim tray and sticking it back in?
    That usually does it for me.
    Dont bother calling AT&T, the issue is not on their end to fix.
    Its a well known thing with 01.59.00 on newer firmware with official carriers.

5. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Pop the SIM out and reseat it. This is a known issue with the 1.59 baseband and 4.3 or later. As Myzhi said, if you don't want to deal with it long term, you either need to give up the older baseband or move back down to 4.2.1 (assuming you have the blobs to roll back your firmware.)

Check Applejuiced's posts for more on the SIM removal solution, he's posted it several times recently.

Edit--including right now. LOL Cross posted!

6. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

Hmmm, didn't find that posted anywhere in my "Googling."

Been there, done that multiple times. That's one of the "fixes" I found for VVM not working.

Oh well .... never found that. I guess I will switch to Youmail.

As I said, I've tried the SIM trick multiple times. Yea, I can roll back to just about anything. Is 1.59 still the only unlockable baseband? I plan on selling this thing but if VVM isn't working than I will have problems after the sale.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Usually a bunch of restarts, reset network and the sim tray trick always does it for me. Just give it a few minutes after the sim tray is popped back in. All of a sudden it will download a few Visual voicemails if you had any available and it will start working.
    Also if you're plan on selling it unlocked to someone chances are they wont use it on AT&T so they wont have any VVM issues to deal with. If they're going to use it on AT&T they can just buy a locked AT&T iphone 4 that will probably be cheaper than an unlockable one with bb 01.59.00

8. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Standard issue with old baseband and new firmware. Take advantage of your blobs and downgrade to 4.2.1.

1.59.00 is currently the only baseband that can be unlocked with ultrasn0w. If you want a problem-free sale, roll it back to 4.2.1. :)

9. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Yes, 1.59 is the only software unlockable baseband; others can be hardware unlocked via a Gevey SIM though.

I'm on 4.2.1/1.59 myself, but only until after a trip to Canada later this year. To me, it's just not really worth the hassle of preserving it unless you personally need that unlock--especially now that factory unlocked phones are available through Apple stores. Software unlockable basebands aren't going to be worth nearly as much in resale anymore when you can get a better unlocked version that doesn't require work to maintain right from Apple.

10. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

May I ask why you're waiting until you get to Canada to get a facunlock? I mean, us Canadians are pretty cool and all, but why not just buy an unlocked phone right from your local Apple store? :)

11. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

LOL--I'm not buying an unlocked phone until the next hardware revision (at least, maybe one more after that)--just no travel plans out of country after this trip, so I'll hold off on updating the baseband until then. But I have just enough dropped call issues that updating might relieve, and no plans to resell, so once the trip is over, I'll do the upgrade to 4.3.3 and matching baseband.

Next phone though will definitely be factory unlocked unless AT&T quits with their "no unlocking" policy for iPhones. I'm SO glad they've finally made the unlocked ones available here, at least.

(and yes, you guys are pretty cool...). :D

12. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

Interesting .... I had no idea that Apple was now selling unlocked phones. Yea, that will definitely drop the resale value. Thanks for the info.

13. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Yeah, for quite a few weeks now actually!