iphone 4 w/o new 2 year contract

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Finz151, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Finz151 macrumors member

Finz151

I made a reserve for the iphone 4 to pick up at the apple store. I'll be purchasing the phone at the full retail price of $599 :/, and thats because I'm not eligible for the upgrade until later this year. Now heres my problem, when I open the box and have the phone in hand, can I just pop in my at&t sim(which I will cut down to make it look like a microsim) into the iphone 4 and begin using it just like that? Or would I have to wait for "dev team" to come out with the hacktivate/jailbreak for iphone 4? I'm worried the "activation" screen will pop up and won't disappear until I activate the new 2 year contract
    Thanks in advance!

2. Finz151 thread starter macrumors member

Finz151

3. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

If you purchase it at full retail price, not giving it any specific phone line to assign to, then it should work. You won't be able to right out of the box though, it's never been that way. Most likely, you'll just have to put your SIM in and then activate it.

4. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

AT&T will give you a free microsim if you ask them. It will have all your account info on it too! Also please don't bump threads. It's against the rules and bumping this late is counter productive as few people are viewing the forums.

5. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

Oh and just because you activate it doesn't mean it will renew your contract. Since you're not buying it as an upgrade, it won't affect your contract at all.

6. Finz151 thread starter macrumors member

Finz151

But doesnt "activating through itunes" require me to sign a new two year contract? I just want to insert my sim and use it

7. Finz151 thread starter macrumors member

Finz151

Oh ok I understand now, now just have to wait until thursday!