iPhone 4 wail/screech sound when calling people...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by WilliamG, Jan 28, 2011.

1. WilliamG macrumors 604

So since updating to iOS 4.2.1 on my iPhone 4, I've been having this issue where I'll call a contact and while it's ringing/connected my phone will make this awful screeching/wailing sound in my ear. If I hang up and call back at this point, the sound is gone, but it scares the crap out of me each time it does it.

I can't put my finger on WHAT is causing it. I can only tell you the noise is awful, and it doesn't do it every time.

Any ideas what is going on here?

Thanks, guys...

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Is this happening while using the speakerphone? Feedback maybe...Although, I've never heard of feedback on an iPhone. Is this happening from the same cell tower? If it is I would suspect a bad connection.
    If it's none of the above and you aren't running some kind of app that might cause it and a restore doesn't stop it, I would take it back to Apple and see about getting a replacement.

3. WilliamG thread starter macrumors 604

Well it's just odd, but yes it appears to be the cell tower causing it, since it doesn't happen when I'm out and about that I've noticed thus far. Very odd, though... :(

I never have any problem when I'm connected to someone, i.e. it doesn't start doing it during a call. Only on the connection to the call and thus during the call.

Oh well. Hopefully AT&T will fix it, if it really is their issue...

4. brianguy macrumors newbie

This has also recently started happening to me on an iPhone 3GS using the earbuds (Bluetooth off). It is so loud it actually hurts. It would be good to find out if any non-iPhone users experience this, so that we can determine if it is a software issue or an AT&T issue.

It has never happened to me two calls in a row.

5. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I bet that it is a cell tower issue.

6. GovtLawyer macrumors 6502

Same Here

Happens to me on my 3Gs, way too often. AT&T reception is terrible. Dropped calls and long times before connection. In particular, in the downtown Manhattan officer where I spend most of the day. Others with Verizon or Sprint at same location get quality service.

I can't wait until my contracts are up to switch to Verizon. I'm fed-up with AT&Ts service.

7. WilliamG thread starter macrumors 604

I'm glad some people are replying here. It happens on my iPhone 4 at 4.2.1, my wife's iPhone 4 at 4.1, and my neighbor's iPhone 4 at 4.0.1.

8. orinoco14 macrumors newbie

I get the same screech on my phone, and it's not an iPhone...it's AT&T. Just started a few months ago, no idea why.

9. WilliamG thread starter macrumors 604

Sigh... AT&T really does stink sometimes. :(

10. Dccnderela macrumors newbie

iPhone 4s screeching sound during call

I have an iPhone 4s that i purchased earlier this year. I am now hearing that loud screeching sound during calls. This sound actually ends the call. The person on the other end doesn't hear it. My iPhone is on Verizon. Right now, I've turned it off and will restart in a while. Hopefully this will help. Any other suggestions?

11. Crawford10 macrumors newbie

It's just happened to me, seems like such an old issue looking at past comments, I thought a demon had attacked my phone, scared the crap out of me
    I'm on Vodafone, and I've been with them for 3 years with different iPhone's. Glad to know my phone isn't possessed!

12. Asiangem macrumors newbie

13. Asiangem macrumors newbie

My stepfather had the same issue for his 4S iPhone - To to General - Touch reset network - reset network settings - Now iPhone will reboot. And then the network settings will go back to default network settings. His iPhone no longer makes the screeching noise.

Asiangem