Iphone 4 warranty question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jingaboys, May 2, 2011.

1. jingaboys macrumors newbie

Hi All,
    I bought an IPhone 4 from craigslist 2 weeks back. The guy seemed legitimate and I check the warranty for the IMEI of the phone and the apple website (https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do) told me that it has an extended warranty till 2012. So the deal was done, and I took it home.

Now, just out of curiosity, I check the warranty again for the same phone and was shocked to see the below result :eek:
    "We're sorry, but this is a serial number for a product that has been replaced. Please check your information and re-enter your serial number. If your information is correct, you may need to contact us."

Did the guy reported the phone stolen to Apple after he sold it to me? If that is the case, what can I do?

Thanks in advance for you help.

2. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Call Apple, that is odd.

3. jingaboys thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I am going to call apple.
    I bought the phone by paying cash and have no receipts as such (only some SMSes between us) as proof.

4. jingaboys thread starter macrumors newbie

Called up Apple today. They explained that since the guy had and extended warranty for the phone, he'd have transferred it to some other phone, and that's the reason why apple shows that mine's replaced.

So no reason to worry, but the seller took me for a ride, I paid a premium for the phone since it was under extended warranty :(

5. AWallen90 macrumors 6502

That was shady of the seller. The phone is not reported missing so you can still use it correct?