iPhone 4 water damage from rain

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tonystewart1402, Oct 16, 2013.

1. tonystewart1402, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013

tonystewart1402 macrumors newbie

Hello, Today I got an interesting job from a client, this one left it in the rain for a period of time. The phone was in a case and was facing down. The headphone jack indicator is red however the indicator on the inside of the phone was white. All of connectors inside look clean and don't look like they got wet, however the pins on the dock connector looks rusted. The owner did his homework and kept the phone in rice immediately after he found it and left it in there for 72hrs before bringing it to me. My real question is should I just replace the dock connect and battery, or do the whole thing with the isopropyl alcohol and replacing the battery and connector as well? The phone has not shown any signs of life at all since the incident.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There's no such thing as slight water damage.
    Once you get it wet you never know what shorted out and where and you could end up keep replacing parts and wasting more money.
    And even then it could still die shortly down the road once corrosion sets. I'd bring it to Apple and pay the replacement fee to get another one or buy another one.

3. tonystewart1402 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think you understand, I fix phones professionally for a living. My question is should I go all out with the full cleaning, or just replace the connector. I don't want to do overkill to his device.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Oh, if you have the parts laying around then give it a shot and try to figure out what needs to be swapped out.
    Its all a trial and error.
    If the connector is getting rusted I'd start with that.