Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xSinisterStrike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
So.... earlier today I was making food in the kitchen and I tripped over my cat who was walking past and my iPhone 4 fell in my cats water bowl..... I took it out quickly but I noticed on the top half of the screen that it had dark water stains.....

What would be the best method considering I'm a n00b at this? I currently have my iPhone in a lil sandwich box with rice but I'm not sure if it'll help.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
You can use blow dryer at low blow pressure for drying your phone if this is not working, still after putting in rice bag. Then you can go to repair center.

For the love of jesus don't blowdry your phone:mad: This will only damage it more. Soak it in a bowl of 99%isopropyl alcohol for a minute or two, then take it out and let it dry (in a bag of rice, if you choose) for about 10 ish minutes should be all it takes to evapourate it out.

The isopropyl is my favourite solution as it can have a waterlogged phone up and running again in under half an hour, and it's guaranteed unless you kept using your phone after dropping it (i.e. didn't power it down).

The isopropyl has a very high evapouration point (it will evapourate within seconds at a much bigger mass than water), it does not conduct electricity so it's safe to place your phone in (altho still not as safe as having to soak it at all!) so it displaces all the water from your phone and then evapourates within minutes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.