iPhone 4 weird wifi issue

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by cdodsworth, Jul 5, 2010.

1. cdodsworth macrumors newbie

Note quite sure if this has been posted before, if it has, then apologies.

Scenario

Have three wifi basestations in my house. First one is the sky router attached to my sky broadband.That provides wifi coverage for pretty much all of the house and works fine. Lets call it AP1.
    Second basestation is an Apple Time capsule providing wifi to the back part of the house and first section of the garden. Lets call that one AP2.

Now we have a nice sitting area at the top of the garden where we can sit and watch the kids play in the pool etc. Shame it does not have power or wifi :( So bought a couple of powerline products and a Netgear Prosafe WG103 AP. Plumbed them all into the garage and from there it is only a short hop to the top of the garden. Works a treat :D Call this AP3.

Problem
    Used the powerbook to test it and the laptop has full bars and perfect coverage. Then tried the iPhone 4. Hooks onto the wireless network but then it just sits there dropping on and off the network. Stays on 3G or Edge but no wifi symbol. Watching it in the wifi section on the phone, I can see a tick on the network and that just pulses on and off :(

Bring out the iphone 3G and that phone gets onto AP3 and stays there. No loss, no dropout. :confused:

Oddly enough the iPhone 4 stays on the other AP1 and AP2 fine. So I assumed it was the access point that was wrong. Reset it, changed the settings to different channels, everything but still no joy.

Any ideas ???

2. cableguy619 macrumors 6502

sometime some devices dont like to play with others. I had a EVO 4g right next to a brand new Netgear wireless N and it kep dropping on connect. My iphone though worked perfectly fine....

anyway to test with another router? Friends? Neighbors?

3. cdodsworth thread starter macrumors newbie

Well really the testing was done with the SKY router and Apple TC. They both provide wireless coverage and all devices work perfect on them.Have a couple of macbooks, two iphone 3G, two iphone 4, an imac etc. They ALL work on ALL access points except the iphone 4s on the AP3 ???

Now considering there was talk about iphone 4's having issue with the baseband of the wifi, then I guessed it might be that. But the AP3 is a simple G+ access point, not the more sensitive N kind.

Just confused now :confused: