iphone 4 - what happens to my 3Gs?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by robdam1001, Jun 10, 2010.

1. robdam1001 macrumors 6502a

Stupid question prolly, I know, but when I pre-order on the 15th and receive the "4" on June 24th, I sync with iTunes and my "4"" is activated/up & running, what happens to my old 3Gs? Will the activation process of the new "4" automatically de-activate my old 3Gs? Will I have to call AT&T to de-activate the 3Gs? Thanks and again, sorry for the noob question.

2. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

I think it automatically deactivates because AT&T will replace the 3GS IMEI with the iPhone 4 on your account. Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not really sure what I'm talking about lol.

3. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

the old one will be deactivated on your account first before the new one is activated...it's almost automatic

4. robdam1001 thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. cschmelz macrumors 6502

But isn't this only half the truth? The old phone will be 'deactivated' but a simple SIM swap historically would allow the old phone to be activated again instantly.

Of course, the SIM vs microSIM complicates that a bit, but aren't there microSIM adapters that allow the microSIM to go right into a SIM slot?

Hence, take microSIM from iPhone 4, but in 3GS and boom, 3GS active again?

6. mnilan macrumors member

Strategy for selling 3GS

Folks:
    What do I need to do to sell my 3GS? Do I have to remove the SIM? DO I have to erase all my data on the phone? Where is the best place to sell?
    Thanks in advance.

7. Hydrocity macrumors 6502a

will the 3Gs be locked, or will it still be able to do everything minus the phone parts?

Ex: can I use my 3Gs as an iPod?

8. macslayer118 macrumors 6502

You can still use it for all other features. If you take out your SIM right now you can see that it will still work.