iPhone 4 whirring while phone calls/at edge data transfer

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by snowleopard13, Aug 5, 2011.

1. snowleopard13 macrumors regular

My 7-month-old iPhone 4 has some Problems and I want to find out whether it is a software or a hardware problem. Maybe you guys can help me :)

Everyone of you knows the sound, when you hold your iPhone near (older) speakers and a phone call/text msg arrives or if there is data transfer. All WITHOUT 3G/Wifi.
    Now comes the weird part. Since yesterday i have these exact sounds over my iPhone speaker(s). Both the speaker on the bottom and the speaker on your ear while making a phone call (with EDGE) which is very disturbing while talking. Also i get these sounds over the bottom loudspeaker while surfing in safari (-> data transfer over EDGE). All of this only appers when i have no 3G/Wifi connection.

So... is this a hardware, software or maybe carrier problem? I never had these problems in the last 7 months.

I called Apple, but he didn't know about that problem and told me to find out myself if it is a software or hardware problem and if it's a hardware one to call them again.

2. snowleopard13 thread starter macrumors regular

little update:
    I tried my brothers iPhone 4 with the same carrier on the same places and also with EDGE. --> Silence. So it has to be a Software or Hardware Problem....

Any ideas guys?

3. enoC macrumors 6502

enoC

Restore and set it up as new. If it's still weird, then it's hardware.

4. snowleopard13 thread starter macrumors regular

restored and updated to 4.3.5 and still the same problem.

So i just arranged a repair with Apple and i will post the outcome, when i get my phone back.

5. snowleopard13 thread starter macrumors regular

so... i got a replacement. not much more to say other than it obviously was a hardware defect. kudos to apple for processing all this in just 3 business days.