Iphone 4 Wifi alway active

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ocelo, Aug 12, 2010.

1. ocelo macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just noticed that on my iphone4 my wifi connection is always active even after the screen is locked.
    My 3g and cell data are disabled. I always get whatsapp messages when im on wifi and when i turn on my iphone the wifi logo is on. My dad got a 3gs with the same Os version and the wifi connection is always lost after the screen is locked so he cant use push and when i turn on hes phone it always takes 4-5 secondes till the wifi logo appears.
    why is there a difference between 3gs and 4??

thanks!!

2. ocelo thread starter macrumors newbie

i guess nobody knows......is your iphone 4 wifi also always active im asking because of the battery life?

3. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

As far as Im aware this is a feature of iPhone4/iOS4 called 'persistent wifi'.

Ive not read much about it so Im not sure of much else sorry.

4. ocelo thread starter macrumors newbie

big help :)

Thanks!!

5. OC513 macrumors 6502

from what I understand it is supposed to conserve battery life as opposed to having to re-connect to wifi every time you awake your phone.

6. ZacUSNYR macrumors regular

My 4 does the same thing as my 3gs, I unlock and the wifi icon shows up?

7. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

if you are connected to wifi when you lock, then what you should find is the following:

Press the sleep/wake button on the top of the phone which will turn on the screen, but DONT unlock the phone and you should notice the wifi icon appear at the top after a few seconds.

As far as I can remember I had to actually unlock the phone before the wifi icon showed up.

8. dark55 macrumors member

Do you have push email/push notifications enabled? Since you have your cellular data off, I believe it keeps your wi-fi connected so you can receive those push alerts. I'm not sure if it's better in terms of battery life to do push through cellular data or wi-fi though, but I'm leaning towards cell.

9. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Mine stays on WiFi when it is locked as well, and I still get great battery life, so I wouldn't worry about it. At least you don't have the hassle of reconnecting every time you access a feature that requires a data connection.

10. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Yea i agree, I leave my wifi on all the time so that it auto connects to work and then auto connects to home when I get there (and a few other places I go frequently like my parents for example).

I couldnt do this on my 3GS as it made a dent in the battery life however on iPhone4 I find it barely makes any difference at all!