iPhone 4 wifi hotspot = no need for iPad 3G?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kevinhirsh, Mar 2, 2011.

1. kevinhirsh macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I currently own an iPhone 4 on AT&T and with the announcement of iOS4.3 personal wifi hotspot feature, would that mean I could use that for the iPad 2 wifi version and not have to purchase the 3G version?

Thanks!

2. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

That's correct. If you're on AT&T you would pay $45 for 4GB's of monthly data vs $50 on Verizon for unlimited data but only 2GB's alloted for tethering. You could also just jailbreak your iPhone and install MyWi for a $20 fee which allows you to tether for free. If you go ahead and jailbreak the iPad as well you can use MyWi on Demand, a tool that allows your iPhone and iPad to tether only when the iPad is in use to conserve battery on the phone.

3. NightStorm macrumors 68000

This is my plan; AT&T will let you enable/disabled tethering on a monthly basis without impacting your contract. The money saved on the 3G radio will pay for double the storage. =)

4. andrei.barbuta macrumors regular

As far as I know yes. But enabling the Hotspot feature will cost if you don't have tethering enabled. Anyway should be cheaper than an additional contract plus a 3G iPad version.

5. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

And you won't lose my unlimited data. (if you have it)

This is the smart decision

6. vstephenson macrumors member

Yep
    That's why I never bothered waiting for 3G and jailbroke the iPhone for MyWi