iPhone 4 wifi playing up=no push notifications

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by simmstar, Dec 4, 2010.

1. simmstar macrumors member

Hi All,

Hoping that I can explain this the best I can and that someone will be able to help me.

I'm having a really annoying time with my iPhone because of what seems to be something related with the wifi connection.

When at home, I switch off my 3G connection and use only my wifi connection. I do this as I had experienced trouble when I first got my phone because although the wifi icon was active it was using my 3G connection and I burnt through the usage on my plan in the space of 2 days without knowing!

What is happening now is really strange and, as far as I can tell, has only been since installing iOS 4.2.

When I turn the screen on (via home button or sleep/wake button) the wifi icon is not displayed until about 1 second later. This leads me to believe that somehow, unless the phone is "active" the wifi is not being streamed into the phone which is resulting in absolutely NO push notifications being sent to the phone. Nothing. No Emails, no facebook, no PingChat you name it-NOTHING!

This is obviously extremely annoying as a) I want to be alerted when I receive mail etc and b) I am now having to individually check all the accounts/apps for new messages etc.

The reason I think it may be iOS 4.2 related is that I can't remember this happening before the upgrade, and my wife's phone (which I haven't yet had the time to upgrade) displays the wifi icon constantly and receives all push data.

Sorry for the long message but I wanted to explain it as best I could.

Anyone experiencing the same problem or perhaps have a solution. I'm hesitant to keep the 3G on as well as the wifi due to problem I had previously had.

Thanks all for your time.:D

2. george6000 macrumors member

either 2 things:

1) go into iphone wifi settings and forget the network and rejoin

2) issue with your router (mac filtering)

3. simmstar thread starter macrumors member

Hey. Thanks. Neither of these have worked. Reset the router and also forgot the wifi network on the phone but no change.

Don't think that it will be a mac issue with the router as we have another iPhone, iPod touch and 2 Macbooks in the house which are free from any problems.

Frustrating when my beat up old iPod touch is actually outperforming my 2 month iP4 with push.....sending me mental!!