iPhone 4 wifi problem

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by 4004, Dec 2, 2010.

1. 4004 macrumors member

Hi everyone
    Got my i4 some weeks ago and was very happy, but thing that annoyed me most is that not always my home wifi would work- sometimes, when I try to open a site in safari it says "no Internet conection", but my wifi is OK and everything is working on devices on the same network. Now I am trying to download Geared and it is not downloading at all-no even "Downloading" under the icon.
    App store works from time to time. Any suggestions?
    iOS 4.1

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Most often when I'm having trouble with home wifi, it means comcast (my isp) has crapped out. iPhone will continue to attempt to use wifi whenever it is within range, even if that wifi isn't connected to the internet. I'm on the lowest cost data plan so I try to join any network that I can trust. This sometimes means I must manually "forget" a network that isn't working at the moment just so I can get things done.

As for downloading showing under the icon, there is no rhyme or reason to how long it takes to show up. Sometimes it is instantaneous. Sometimes it hangs. If it hangs for too long, the iPhone needs to be soft reset. Apple store geniuses sometimes call this a hard reset but I never say hard reset unless I mean a reset that requires loading all your data again. This reset merely reboots the phone and all your stuff is still there. Perhaps the reason they call this a hard reset is that it is more of a reset than simply sliding to power off. Here goes...

Press and hold power and home. When you see the "slide to power off", keep holding after you see the black screen and keep holding until you see the Apple logo. When you see the Apple logo you can let go.

Quite often after the phone reboots, the icon is there fully downloaded. A hiccup happened during download and the iPhone can't recover from this issue without a soft reset. If the logo isn't there, test your internet connection using safari or checking email before attempting to download the app again. Quite often you will get the message that an app download has failed and you need to connect to iTunes to get the app. Codswallop. After you manually delete the offending app, this reset procedure cures that situation as well.

3. 4004 thread starter macrumors member

Tnanks for a guided tutorial, I am not such a newbie :)
    Yep, I think my crappy ips is to blame. Downloaded geared and some more apps ok. Anyway, thanks for help

4. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

I've seen from other posts on the forum that certain routers do not get on well with the iPhone. If like you say the iPhone won't connect while other devices are connected OK and working, it could be that.

If you look on Google for a site called "MRoogle", that gives you a google-style search of the forum, much better than the standard search on here. Use something like "iphone wifi connection problems" and take a look. The problem's been discussed lots on here.

Hope that helps.

5. adriansen macrumors newbie

Iphone OS 4 wifi problems

Hi Everyone,

I have read around the internet that OS4 has problems with certain routers. I don't think that is happening to me. I live in the UK and have an Iphone 3gs. For a year the wifi was perfect with my netgear router and then I "upgraded" my 3gs to OS 4.1. Now I only get a wifi signal if I am within 6 ft of the router! Any further and there is no signal whatsoever. I have reset all network settings and done the airplane mode "fix" but nothing helps. My wife has the original iphone and she gets a perfect wifi signal in the garden (yard to my American friends!) which I used to get. If you put the 2 phones side by side in our bedroom (20 ft away from the router), she gets perfect signal and I get nothing. I also have a Kindle that gets a perfect signal everywhere in the house.

I am no great techine with networks, but it does suggest to me that there is a problem with the OS - my hardware hasn't changed. And just to top it all, I can't restore through Itunes - I get an error 3194 every time. Oh happy days!

Adrian

6. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

From Apple Support

Error 3000-3999: (3002, 3004, 3013, 3014, 3164, 3194, and so on) Error codes in the 3000 range generally mean that iTunes cannot contact the gs.apple.com server on ports 80 or 443. This may be because out-of-date or incorrectly configured security or firewall software is interfering, or due to your Internet proxy settings. If you are using a proxy, try without using one or with a known-good network. If that does not resolve the issue, follow iTunes for Windows: Troubleshooting security software issues.

7. adriansen macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks Monsieur Sheep (interesting!),

Actually I was only looking to restore to see if the wifi would improve. I assume (perhaps wrongly) that if I restore, my 3gs would either keep the same OS (4.1) or be upgraded to the 4.2 version. Either way it would probably not fix my wifi problem.

What I really need is to go back 3.1.3 (i.e. where I was before upgrading to OS 4.1). I assume I cannot do this now.

Thanks again and have a great weekend.

Adrian

8. 4004 thread starter macrumors member

Well, Adrian, you actually can roll back to 3.1.3 if you have shsh blobs saved( and if so you'll know what this is). Have you tried other iPhones with your network?

9. adriansen macrumors newbie

Good Call

You've reminded me that at some stage I did save them with Cydia (am I allowed to mention them here?). I shall look into how to restore with them. I have to admit, without wireless the iPhone is half the tool it used to be. In answer to your question, my wife has the original iPhone (see my first post above) and it gets perfect wifi signal even in the garden. My Kindle does likewise as my 3gs used to do.

Thanks again

Adrian (not used to too many message boards - do people not put their names down?)