Iphone 4 Wifi signal reception problem

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by fledermaus89, Dec 4, 2010.

1. fledermaus89 macrumors newbie

So, I have figured out that if I make a cup with my hand and cover the upper part of my iphone 4 (no contact needed), the wifi signal drops to 0 in a matter of miliseconds.

I have seen some people complaining that when they hold they iphone horizontally (like watching youtube) their wifi reception drops dead.

It really has nothing to do with antenna polarization (as some suggested) or touching the antenna, and it's just your hands blocking some part of the reception zone, which explains that having a bumper doesn't improve the situation. This apparently doesn't affect the cellular signal, so it has to do with the wifi antenna somehow..

I think this is a quite serious issue since there are many occasions where you have to hold your iphone horizontally, and the fact that a case would NOT solve the problem.

I'm surprised I can't find any good relevant threads on this topic here...

2. Tad88 macrumors newbie

That is exactly what happen with my iPhone too and I did search over internet for weeks but till now i donot know if this stupid problem present in all iphone 4 devices or just in some of them and at first I thought that this problem is in my iphone only as i couldnot find any one else over net talking about this problem till i found your topic.. My question is very simple guys ,is this problem which was described in this topic occur with all iphone 4 devices including your iphone 4 devices or it is just present in some of iphone 4 devices ? (just say yes or no if u donot want to talk about it too much) Thanks for any reply

3. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

The reason you can't find any threads on this, is because it's not a "quite serious issue", If you cover the antenna, the reception will drop. Simple as that.:rolleyes:

It's not a "stupid problem", in fact, it's not a problem at all. Solution....DON'T COVER THE WIFI ANTENNA.:rolleyes:

4. Tad88 macrumors newbie

Thanks for your answer but excuse me sometimes my hands have to cover iphone 4 wifi antenna to some extent while watching youtube videos or surfing net in landscape mode or playing game while there is application downloading from App store and this issue would not bother me at all unless it affect both wifi internet connection and speed on my iphone which is real issue and also u said that the problem discussed in this topic is normal one due to covering of iphone 4 wifi antenna so why i did not see problem like that in my previous iphone 3gs or HTC HD and even Nokia mobile phones althought all of them have wifi anntena also and all of them did not show this problem whatever the way i grip them ?

5. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

You can't compare an iPhone 4 with an HTC, or Nokia, or a 3G. It's not the same phone. Obviously the iPhone 4 does it, so what else can I say. If you knew where the wifi antenna was in the other phones, and covered it, they would have probably done the same thing.

6. Tad88 macrumors newbie

I agree with u in that point however many iphone 4 users said that they do not have this problem even if they cover iphone 4 wifi antenna totally by thier hands so how come that many iphone 4 users including me and this thread's writer say that they have it and another users say that they do not have it in thier iphone 4 devices?!!!!

7. JamesMB, Mar 15, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011

JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Every iPhone 4 that I have ever seen, does the same thing if you cover the WiFi antenna. You keep calling it a problem, but I and most users don't find it to be so. My advice... If it bothers you, return it to Apple or buy a different phone.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Get one of these dude.
    You will never lose or drop signal ever again. It works for cellular, wifi, GPS, BT and everything.
    You stick it on and you're good:D
    [​IMG]

9. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Please help! I put 2 of those on the front screen of my iPhone, and now I can't see my apps. What should I do?:D

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

LMAO:D
    Dude, the package comes with 3 of them.
    Stick them all in the front and you'll catch wifi from 3 miles down. But make sure you dont hold the phone wrong or you might drop signal.
    Dont worry about looking at the screen, retina is overrated:D

11. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I put the other one on, and I still can't see the apps. But now I have another problem...My touch screen doesn't work very well!

12. ^^BIGMac macrumors 6502a

^^BIGMac

LOL :p

13. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I forgot to add, that this problem only started, after I jailbroke my phone to IOS 9.6, using the new Google tool, and then restored to 4.3.

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Does this mean I can't unlock?

Why did someone feel the need to revive this dead thread?

15. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Probably because all the newbies are told to search before posting a new thread, so they do just that. We end up with threads like this.

16. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Sorry, but that doesn't apply here. This thread is just some OP ranting about problems with the iPhone that most people don't experience. No one responded in December, because it was a ridiculous thread.

17. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

This is what revived it...OCDism.:D

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Seems like we have many members here with that treatable disorder.
    They should seek professional help:)

19. Tad88 macrumors newbie

No comment

Ok but excuse me that is your personal opinion and even if i do not agree with u but sure i have to respect your opinion and u have to respect mine too , that 's what should present in all forums over net so thier members can discuss anything freely in the way that benifit them and all other members in the forum so tell me what can I or any body else here get benifit from answers like this nice one that told me to buy another funny phone bla bla bla!!!!

At last thanks jamesMB for your time.