iPhone 4 Will Not Charge - Help!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by StilettoLvr, Jul 3, 2013.

1. StilettoLvr macrumors newbie

I have an iphone 4 (had it since April 2013). It charged find overnight, I attempted to charge it today and it will not charge. It doesn't even recognize being plugged in. My husband's phone will charge just fine. I have tried different outlets and different wall chargers and USB cables with no luck. When I look in the port on the bottom of the phone there appears to be a blackish spot on the top where the connectors go in to the phone, almost like there was a burn there. Verizon is my carrier and says they could charge $299 if they feel I damaged the phone and that I should take it to Apple - and being that I'm not a pyromanic I do not think I set fire to my phone.....suggestions

2. TheProFTW macrumors regular

3. StilettoLvr thread starter macrumors newbie

There's one nearby at a mall - I've heard horror stories of their repairs taking forever. Is it true?

4. anaqvi786 macrumors regular

They take about 15 minutes, 45 on days like tomorrow (4th of July)
    Good luck, and keep us posted!

5. toshibauser macrumors member

Well, I had a similar issue a few months ago that my iPhone 4 could not be charged. First, I thought it was the cable problem, but it wasn't. So, I took it to apple store, and Apple said that if I don't have AppleCare, it could cost me up to 300 dollars. If you did purchase AppleCare, it is just 50 dollars plus tax. Of course, you have to purchase AppleCare for 100 dollars ahead. In total, it is 150 dollars, which is not worth to repair for iPhone 4, I think. I had my iPhone 4 for 3 years already, so I took it to a local 3rd party store. They only charged me 5 dollars for the part and 25 for service. It is working as good as a brand new phone.

6. iRepairParts macrumors regular

iRepairParts

Sounds like its time for a new charging port. Unfortunately, it seems like the issue was caused by the charging cable. I would try and take it into Apple to see if you catch a genius on a good day. You never know, they might just swap it out for you.

If Apple doesn't swap the device for you, you could try to repair the device yourself if you are comfortable with small electronics. If not, take the device to a reputable repair shop. Make sure you do your research to determine what kind of company you are dealing with.

Best of luck!