iPhone 4 Wireless Printing with iOS 4.2

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JasonHD, Sep 1, 2010.

1. JasonHD macrumors regular

Steve said wireless printing will be coming in 4.2, how will this work? As in setting up your printer? Do you think it will be for iPhone as well iPad?

2. chembox macrumors 6502a

iOS 4.2 is for the iPad, the iPhone 4 (iOS 4.1) will not get wireless printing.

3. JasonHD thread starter macrumors regular

I mean in iOS 4.2 for iPhone 4.

4. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Nope iOS 4.2 is for ALL iOS devices. SJ only showed the printing using iworks for the iPad so we will have to wait and see if they finally release iworks on the iPhone, he didn't say about the printing feature working w/ other apps, but it is probable, we will have to wait...

5. JasonHD thread starter macrumors regular

would this be compatible with all wireless printers though? Its hard to believe.

6. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Maybe is just basic universal printing (very rough & simple, no extra features specific for the printer) probably will tell printer companies to release some extension for each printer and you download yours? We will have to wait until the dev seed of 4.2 to see more specifics!

7. mrathee macrumors 6502

Actually - during the keynote when Jobs demo'd it, it showed a few computers that were chosen for printing - which makes me think that it will work with any computer (prob mac only) that is hard wired to a printer and is also connected to wifi.

This would make more sense mainly because there have been huge issues with a lot of wireless printers and they aren't solid enough for mobile support like this.

just imo.

8. cpalmer17 macrumors newbie

I think you can wirelessly print now from the iPhone 4 with an app called Cortado.

9. Armeniandave macrumors 6502

I have an app called ePrint which has seen
    all the wireless printers I've thrown at it so no
    reason why Apple wont have printing to most all
    wireless printers.

10. mikechan1234 macrumors 6502

thought iOS 4.2 would be iPad only like with iOS 3.2

11. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

No, because Steve also said that in the 4.2 update coming in november, they will introduce AirPlay to all iDevices.

12. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Watch the keynote people! He had a graphic up with all devices showing 4.2 coming to them in November. Lazy internet: take a screenshot for me please and post it for the noobs!

4.2 is being unified, and this relative feature parity is a good thing. Now we just need some iWork for iPhone.

Should add a print button to the + button menu in Safari?

> Add Bookmark
    > Print this Page
    > Add to Home Screen
    > Mail Link to this Page

Loved the print spooler app that pops up in the multitasking bar. That thing is turning into a minidock more and more every day! Hope configuring the printers will be easy. Sucks for me though as my school just added some crazy app that deducts pages from our allotment to save money. But I mainly print at home—copies of paid stuff, shipments, phone bills for my wife's work reimbursement, and papers. My wife prints more, and she uses the iPad more than me when I don't have it with me at school during the day.