iPhone 4 with bumper & reception issue!! (Video)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by djrm, Jun 25, 2010.

1. djrm macrumors 6502

djrm

2. JimmyJunk macrumors newbie

3. woosah macrumors regular

woosah

Looks like the bumper is a fail, a lot like "just don't hold it that way".

4. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

I could live with the fact the signal reduces but its the dropped calls and lost data connectivity with/without a bumper that concerns me.

5. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

That stinks. I was tinkering with mine when I woke up this morning and put the bed sheet around the phone as a barrier and held the seams -- I lost one bar, but that was it. When I don't touch it at all, same area has 5 bars steadily. When I touch it with bare hands, holding it very lightly at the bottom touching seams, I'm down to 1 bar.

I was hoping the bumper would work as a little bit of a buffer the way the bed sheet seemed to have worked, just playing around. Course, unless I want to run around in a homemade toga, I'm going to need to use a case :D

6. ian2000gsxr macrumors newbie

well that's not good...

might be going back to the 3gs since a bumper apparently doesn't fix it

7. peestandingup macrumors regular

Well *****! Apple really f'ed up here.

Thanks for the demo. Do you find that the bumper helps at all? As in, would you have lost the signal completely if the phone had been bare during your test??

8. djrm thread starter macrumors 6502

djrm

It does the same with or without the bumper! The worst part is when i'm holding it in my left hand even though the signal is just low when you try and call the phone it goes straight through to voicemail!

9. schulzmc macrumors regular

How do we know in these videos that someone isn't doing something off camera to interfere with the cell signal?

10. taybo20 macrumors regular

taybo20

Really?...lol :p Actually you may be right. He probably has friends holding up tin foil all around him when he puts the phone in his palm...;)

11. peestandingup macrumors regular

Dude? Really?? This is all over every tech forum today. Pretty sure its not fake.

12. tikitommy macrumors regular

I have absolutely no bottom left corner issues with no bumper on (although i have one for protective reasons). I must have been a really bad batch in there.

13. iphoneguy123 macrumors regular

Can we get some more people with a bumper and the antenna problem to test?

14. djrm thread starter macrumors 6502

djrm

:eek: you serious?

15. frazwr01 macrumors newbie

Looks like you synced from a backup that originated from a jailbroken iphone -- I know this because that's the only way the battery % will show up in iOS4 until it's jailbroken for the iPhone 4... Anyway, my phone pretty much stopped being able to use cellular data last night after syncing from my macbook (which had previously backed up a jailbroken 3g). After the sync, I got some error messages -- but largely ignored them bc everything seemed to work fine. Shortly thereafter, I couldn't get more than ~10kbps over the AT&T network (normally I get ~2500kbps). Soft reseting the phone didn't help. It didn't matter if I was touching the lower left corner of the phone either. Basically, I could only send/receive data via wifi at that point.

Finally, I decided to restore iOS4 in DFU mode. Now everything is (sort of) OK. My signal strength still goes down if I short out the two antennas by holding the lower left of the phone in my left hand, but if I put a silicone case on the phone or if I simply do not touch the lower left corner, all is well...

16. bina12834 macrumors regular

the battery % meter is a standard feature on the iPhone 4....just like on the 3GS.....Setting > General > Usage > Battery Percentage on/off

17. djrm thread starter macrumors 6502

djrm

Thanks Bina, total rubbish from frazwr01