Iphone 4 with Bumper survives 4ft fall (pics)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dfndr90, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Dfndr90 macrumors regular

Dfndr90

I was in the garage getting ready to take my Defender 90 for a spin and thought I would take a pictures. As luck would have it, as I whipped my phone out of my pocket, it flew out of my hand and hit the front right wing of the Defender on the top and bounces 4 feet to the hard cement below. I was sure I would pick it up and see some broken glass, but it was in perfect shape.

Upon closer inspection, the Bumper did suffer a major scuff and the rubber was cut through to the metal. The phone hit the cement so hard that the Stainless Steel band on the phone cut into the Bumper. The iPhone itself only has the slightest mar on the rubber surrounding the screen though.

The Bumper has gotten a lot of mixed reviews, but after this mishap, I can tell you it was a great $30.00 investment.

Attached Files:

2. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Mine fell off a bar last night (in bumper) onto the hard floor and it is perfect, so I agree.

3. chembox macrumors 6502a

Ouch! Although since the bumper only covers the frame, I'm sure if you had an entire case you might not have had any scuffs or scratches at all.

Good to know your phone is still okay!

4. Dfndr90 thread starter macrumors regular

Dfndr90

This is a picture of the Defender so you can see how high the front wing is on the passenger side.

Attached Files:

5. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

I might need to get a bumper for myself if it's that helpful.

6. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Awesome. This is why I'm buying the bumper for my iPhone not because of silly reception issues. ;)

7. kr00k322 macrumors 6502

Exactly.

8. swllnvag macrumors member

If you are a previous iPhone user you're going to love the bumper. It widens it, making it feel like the older models. It's so much more comfortable in your hand.

9. iMaconApple macrumors 6502a

10. bobright macrumors 601

I thought the Bumpers were one color, there 2 tone now??

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

How's that?

The scuff is UNDER where the bumper was covering. How would covering the parts that didn't suffer damage help him?

12. fru macrumors member

I'm fairly sure they've always been two tone.

13. swllnvag macrumors member

It's made of both plastic and rubber. The lighter area is the rubber.

14. RamboJones macrumors newbie

RamboJones

The only thing I dont like about the bumpers is that if you put the phone in your pocket with keys it can scratch the back....unlike a regular case that it will protect the back and the apple logo...right? or wrong?

15. sloppygator2013 macrumors regular

Why are you guys talking about the bumper??? lets talk about the Defender! My dream is have a Defender in British racing green. More pictures!:D

16. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

Me too. I couldn't justify buying one to fix Apple's problem (even though mine only drops 1-2 bars) but it's too slippery to keep on my lap while driving so I need one.

17. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

Keys aren't going to scratch the glass. And the Apple logo is under the glass, not on top of it.

18. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

Well probably, but many people don't like using cases because they don't like to cover the design of the phone. The bumper allows you to have protection but also show the design of the phone. I'm also using an invisible shield on the back and front of the phone to prevent scratches. The problem with the invisible shield is that it doesn't offer any shock protection in the event of a fall, but the bumper does.

19. chembox macrumors 6502a

Some cases distribute the shock to certain points and absorb it, you never know.

20. slate1 macrumors regular

I picked up the iFrogz case and really like it

... hope it helps out as much as the bumper did if I happen to drop it!

Sorry for the cruddy pics - all I had was an ancient digital camera sitting here in the office.

Attached Files:

21. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

i like my phone enough to have a dedicated pocket (left one) :/

22. slate1 macrumors regular

Your putting it in the wrong pocket - it was designed to go in the right. :D

I keep mine in my right pocket - all by itself - as well.

23. Iphone4Mac macrumors member

I'm contemplating dropping my iPhone so I can take pics and post them on here lol:p

24. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

I will never get how people can be absentminded enough to keep keys/coins in their pocket with their iPhone. I had my iPhone 3G in an invisible shield and I still never kept anything buy earbuds in a pocket with it.

25. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

I wouldn't do that! :D