iPhone 4 with case car mount recommendation

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by LMD75, May 30, 2011.

1. LMD75 macrumors 6502

Hi,

I am having a difficult time in finding a good car mount which meets the following requirements:

1. Works with a case (Incipio NGP)
    2. Can be rotated in landscape mode for GPS
    3. Strong window sucker or good quality vent mount
    4. Legs /feet /clamps must not block the power connector, speaker, mic, headphone, volume and sleep button.
    5. Simple, secure and quick clamping method

Thanks in advance.

2. der-kaiser macrumors 6502

Looking for something similar. But I would like a dash or vent mount. Works with apple bumper/element vapor pro style case.

3. Azzin macrumors 68040

Brodit ProClip.

http://www.brodit.com/

http://www.dsldevelopments.com/

Takes my i4 in it's case perfectly. I have a cable running directly to the rear of my Kenwood Bluetooth headunit and I just get in the car and drop it in the dock.

The phone is in an InCase Slider (the free one from Apple due to Antennagate).

You choose a clip for your model of car, choose LHD or RHD and then get an active or passive dock.

Brilliant bit of kit IMO.

4. LMD75 thread starter macrumors 6502

Many thanks Azzin. Looks a quality product but it only tilts 22 degrees - Ideally wanted something that does full landscape mode for my TomTom app.

5. gcarlucci macrumors member

6. Azzin macrumors 68040

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm fairly certain mine rotates 90 degrees (I have Navigon).

7. LMD75, May 31, 2011
    Last edited: May 31, 2011

LMD75 thread starter macrumors 6502

Their website states:

"The holder is equipped with a tilt swivel so you can adjust the angle of your device in order to avoid light reflection on the screen. You can tilt the holder 22° in each direction."

Is the above incorrect?

8. LMD75 thread starter macrumors 6502

Many thanks for posting. I checked out the reviews on Amazon and there are lots of complaints with it working great in the beginning then loosing its tackiness and not holding the phone. Also I have a TPU type case and apparently it does not stick well to this type of material.

9. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

I'd bet that's referring to tilting top-bottom to avoid reflections from the vehicle's rear window. If another user is saying it rotates 90 degrees, that's a different thing.

10. LMD75 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks but I checked out the reviews on Amazon and there are lots of complaints with it working great in the beginning then loosing its tackiness. Also I have a TPU case and apparently it does not stick well.

11. LMD75 thread starter macrumors 6502

My mistake. Thanks for bringing this up. You can see it rotate fully in the following video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqpazzaQkvY

Many thanks Azzin - This looks like the mount for me :)

12. tekbeattv macrumors member

tekbeattv

I would suggest checking out the ExoGear ExoMount and see if that works for you (looks to suffice all the needs you mentioned above). I would also suggest the Luxa2 H5 Car Mount as that has been a great car mount for me although I do believe it is not for sale in the US yet. Hope this helps!

13. himesh macrumors regular

+1 for the brodit, make sure you get part number 511165 (it fits iPhone 4 with case) I have this in my car too. Its adjustable so whatever case you get, it will fit.

14. LMD75, Jun 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011

LMD75 thread starter macrumors 6502

tekbeattv : Many thanks I liked the look of the Exogear mount and have ordered it from Amazon as it was only 15 GBP

himesh : I am waiting for a response from the Brodit supplier on availability /vehicle query and will order this too.

EDIT: Cancelled the Exogear as I decided not to go with a window mount. Ordered the Brodit instead.

15. LMD75 thread starter macrumors 6502

Very impressive.

16. tekbeattv macrumors member

tekbeattv

No problem, glad you were able to find a better solution for your situation. :)

17. der-kaiser macrumors 6502

Exogear looks reasonable for it's price. I'll be going with that. Thanks for the recommendation.

18. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I've been using the exogear mount for a couple weeks now and I love it. Its works great.

19. robertk328, Jul 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2011

robertk328 macrumors regular

robertk328

Bought the Arkon last year to use with Waze and it is rock solid. They have one with a dash pad and without the dash pad. If you get with you can remove the dash pad and just use the suction.

[​IMG]