iphone 4 with iHome ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by markthrash, Jun 22, 2010.

1. markthrash macrumors 6502

markthrash

[​IMG]

Well, I bought an iHome a few months back for my 3GS that I have now. I was just wondering because I started thinking the other day "Oh crap what if my new phone doesn't fit on the dock for the iHome?"

But then my brother started saying "Well, the new one is slimmer, isn't it?"

So my question is, do you guys think that the new phone will be able to fit and be compatible with my iHome that I have now, or am I going to have to buy a new one completely? Because the dock on the iHome isn't removable, and it's shaped to the curve of the previous iPhones. Just a question. Sorry if I sound newbish.

2. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

It may fit, but be careful. I am skeptical of anything that puts a lot of strain on the dock connector port. Make sure the device isn't forced in or supported by the dock connector.

3. i.phone4 macrumors member

+1, if it isn't firm in there and doesn't wiggle then it can snap off the connector.

4. markthrash thread starter macrumors 6502

markthrash

Damn. So would it just make more sense to buy an iPhone 4-compatible iHome when they're released?

Looks like I'm putting this one on Craigslist! I just forgot how much I spent on it.

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I have one of the first iHomes that came out before/after the iPod Video. It doesn't work with my iPhone 2G, but I usually stick a CD case in the back to support it better.

EDIT: It works, I meant to say, but it doesn't stand right.

6. awestruck macrumors regular

I don't entirely trust iHomes. I was messing with my moms iTouch today when I went to put it back on the dock it fell straight back behind the table it was on. It nicked it a little, but the screen was unharmed.

7. SSF macrumors newbie

My understanding is that the iHome product line uses the Universal Dock Adapters that Apple makes.

Apple sells them in packs of three for $9

8. markthrash thread starter macrumors 6502

markthrash

Really? Thanks for the info, I'll have to look into that. I'm just a little skeptical because the dock on my iHome looks like it's built in and irremovable.

9. i.phone4 macrumors member

if you look at the photo you posted you can see there is a little space in the groove where you place the iPod/iPhone, a dock connector fills that groove with a mold that fits the specific device. It makes it firm and locked into place so it can't rock. If you are gentle you could probably get away with not having an iPhone 4 dock connector.

10. Dsr1205 macrumors 6502

i never use my iHome with the dock pieces because it never fit with my iphone cases, but it hasn't broken and works great.

11. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

I ordered the universal dock adapters from Apple the other day for my iHome. Should work fine with the iPhone 4.

12. Airik macrumors newbie

iHome also sells replacement inserts for $6. I would assume they'll have one for the iPhone 4 soon.