iPhone 4 with no contract.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gleemen, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Gleemen macrumors regular

I got my iPhone 3GS 12/14/09 and I plan to sell it to get the iPhone 4 when it comes out. Will the stores be selling iPhone 4 without contracts? I couldn't find information on the price of the iPhones without contract. I expect it's 500-700 bucks. Forgive me if this question is in the wrong thread but wasn't sure where to put it.

Thanks for any help.

2. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

They did not mention it this time around. I thought that they usually did.

I think that maybe because they are thinking that everyone will want this phone, they will pay anything to get it. Which brings me to the pre-ordering. I think that when that comes along or when you go into the store, you will find out what you pay then. This may be the best route to go anyway since so many people are confused by AT&T and their upgrade eligibility.

I would think that you can pay the full price, because you can do that with any phone and why would they turn you away?

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

All you do is go to Apple and buy it off-contract; just pay the unsubsidized price. I don't think AT&T stores will do it (unless you are already their customer), but Apple certainly will.

4. Ballis macrumors 6502a

But will they sell it without the at&t sim lock? I ask because imposing such restrictions on a fully paid unsubsidized phone seems like a crime. In europe, I believe it actually is.

5. anitrajw macrumors regular

The Apple website shows you have to be an AT&T customer to purchase iPhone or sign up with a new 2-year contract with AT&T, hope that answers your question

6. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

There is an AT&T lock, and no, it's not a crime. It's a crime in some countries, but it "boosts competition".

7. dav macrumors 6502

SIM lock boosts competition? What?

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No. If you want a factory unlocked phone you will have to turn to eBay or the Euro gray market. Neither Apple in the U.S. nor ATT sell an unlocked phone.

9. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

That's what I said, but according to OFCOM, it does :/

10. dav macrumors 6502

Ah, so you think the same thing as me.. hence the quotes. Sigh. Boosting competition would mean making the market more homogenous.. Carrier locks don't exactly do that.

11. Jumpie macrumors 6502a

Jumpie

Two questions...

First, do you think the new phone will be able to be pre-ordered online from Apple at the no contract price?

Second, if pre-orders start on 6/15, when will it be received at home? 6/24 via Fedex?

12. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Yes, but only if you don't qualify for a better price. You will not be able to just choose the higher "No Contract" price.

Yes on the June 24 home delivery from Apple and AT&T. Some may be FedEX and others UPS. Do you have a preference for the delivery company?

Dave

13. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

1. Should be. (better be, since I'm doing that also)
    2. Yea, it will arrive at your house the the 24th, pending any massive shortage.

14. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Yeah