Iphone 4 (with unlimited plan) + Ipad = What options??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by VeNoMiZeD, Dec 21, 2010.

1. VeNoMiZeD macrumors 6502

Ok, I tried searching and not really getting a clear answer. I will call tomorrow to verify since it's kind of late. I was wondering if my Iphone 4 that has a unlimited data can be used somehow with the Ipad that I'm thinking of buying. I'm assuming my Iphone 4 has to be jailbroken for tethering and the Ipad as well. Are they're any consequences? Has ATT caught on yet? I would be willing to get a data plan but rather not be limited to 2GB limit. I see that Verizon has a Mifi that can go up to 3GB but for $35 and $10 for every extra GB that you go over but thats more money I would not rather spend monthly. Im still debating on getting a 16/32 GB IPAD with or without 3G. If I can bum the data from my Iphone, I would just go for the 32GB WIFI only version. Thanks for the help!

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

iPad tethers fine with a variety of jailbroken tethering apps. Only downside is you have to stay jailbroken, which sometimes means a long wait before updating to the newest iOS revisions.

3. HDJulie macrumors demi-goddess

I jailbroke my iPhone 4 & can use MyWi to create a wireless network that my non-jailbroken iPad can connect to. So, have to jailbreak the iPhone but not the iPad in that case.

4. antok86, Dec 24, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2010

antok86 macrumors member

Curious what jailbreak version are you using. Also can u do this on att network?

5. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I have the unlimited data plan and it covers both. I just checked to be sure and I have the exact same amount on both devices, and both say "Unlimited Data".

6. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Yes you can. Im doing the same setup. Jail broken iphone 4 running mywi to tether to my non jail broken iPad wifi. I used green poison for my last iPhone jailbreak. I'm on 4.1 firmware on the iPhone.

7. Weiser878 macrumors regular

Jailbreak the iPhone with Redsn0w and purchase MyWi 4.0

You do not have to unlock (which is good because you probably can't depending on your firmware)

The iPad does not have to be modified in any manner.

The only difference in the way the iPad will connect is that you'll have to manually tell the iPad to connect to the MyWi hotspot instead of it automatically connecting like it will to your home network.

8. HDJulie macrumors demi-goddess

I jailbroke 4.1 using Limera1n. I'm on AT&T. I'm using MyWi & my iPad connects automatically to the wireless network created unless I'm already on some other wireless network.

9. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

You can always just pay for tethering from AT&T and not have to mess with jail breaking if that's what you're looking for. $20 a month.

10. MaxPowerr11 macrumors newbie

unfortunately

unfortunately no you can't. AT&T will not allow you to tether your iphone to your iPad. I can only assume it is because they want you to have to pay for an iPad 3G data plan. That was my original plan, but now I am stuck jailbreaking and using MyWi. Oh, well, their loss.

11. Snide macrumors 6502a

Snide

I was using MyWi to tether my iPad to my iPhone, and it worked fine until I updated my iPad to IOS 4.2.1. Since then it won't connect automatically; i have to go into Settings and manually join. This is an absolute deal-breaker, as i use this in my taxi and I'm turning it off and on dozens of times each night and losing the connection each time. I'm now using iTether on my jailbroken iPad, and I stay connected all night no matter what. Well worth the $5.00. I still use MyWi for creating hot-spots for passengers with laptops or Wi-Fi-only iPads, and for tethering my MBP.

12. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Yep, Apple needs to break away from AT&T. I can switch to T Mobile, pay the same amount of money I pay now for my family plan, and have unlimited data on my phone.

I currently do not have, nor have I ever had a data plan with AT&T. Let's see what the new year brings.