iPhone 4 without data?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by marker227, Oct 12, 2010.

1. marker227 macrumors 6502

I know this has probably been asked before, but I searched and could not find it... I want an iPhone 4, but don't want a data plan. Is there someway to get around this?

2. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not if you're on postpaid account. They will automatically add an iPhone data plan to your account.

4. marker227 thread starter macrumors 6502

What is a postpaid account?

I am on a family plan.. I have a really cheap $30 phone from walmart. I got rid of my iphone 3GS months ago to get the iPhone 4, but decided I really don't need data.

So, I take it there's no way to accomplish this?

5. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

Sounds like you're actually in the market for an iPod touch. Why not get one and use a dumbphone?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Where you get a monthly bill, not a prepaid plan.

7. crawsfire macrumors member

You can get rid of data permanently as long as you don't have a contract with AT&T. If you have a two year contact there is not much you can do about it until it ends. If you have a postpaid monthly contract, terminate it, and start using a different carrier that uses the AT&T network.
    These are the options you have that I am aware of:
    AT&T pre-paid
    Pure Prepaid
    Pure TalkUSA
    7-11 Speak Out wireless (be careful some use sprint and some AT&T)
    Consumer Cellular
    GTC wireless
    Jolt Wireless
    Locus Mobile (be careful some use Verizon and some AT&T)
    TracFone (be careful they use multiple providers including AT&T)

Personally, on the phones I do not want data plans on I use Pure TalkUSA. You can buy a Sim only with minutes that rollover for $10 and as little as $10 a month to keep it going. For their family plan you can add another line for $5 a month.

8. marker227 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a contract with AT&T, but aren't sure when it ends. Valued customer since 09/10/2008. I don't have an iPhone upgrade till February.

What are the steps to do this?

I can't switch cell phone companies as I am the account holder for everyone who is on the family account.

I really want an iPhone because of the sync capability; address book, ical, itunes and for those times you want a good camera.

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

actually if you check AT&T requirement Data is required anything above a 2g in or out of contract. there are cheaper data plans from att $15-30.if you don't want to spend $15 a month sell your i4 buy a touch! if you swap the sim in a dumb phone. they can tell you switched and it's a matter of time before they catch it.. been discussed a million times. here this will help a little.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20006534-1.html

10. marker227 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I've seen info about that.

I guess I can't really avoid it then... I literally have no use for data when I'm away from my computer.

11. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

Why don't you just get the $15 data plan and only use it when you really need it?