iPhone 4 Wobbly Home Button - No Replacement?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fabian9, Nov 30, 2011.

1. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

Guys,

I've had a bit of a run-in with a genius at one of the Apple Stores in the UK yesterday. My iPhone has developed a wobbly home button, it's still working fine, but it make a strange noise when you press on it and it feels loose somehow, like it's not seated properly.

So I take it to the genius bar to see if they'll swap it out for me as it's clearly not as it should be. The first genius plays around with it, says he can't feel the (obvious) difference. Tells me that it might be because I've got too many apps running in the background (WTF?!) and then says that there is a lot of dust in the dock connector. So he takes the phone away to clean out the dock connector using canned air. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought this wasn't recommended as it can get dust under the screen?)

He comes back, and says that he's cleaned it and that he "has never seen this much dust in a connector". I don't know how this is related to my home button being loose… He then says that because I'm a day before the end of my warranty and he can't replicate the issue, he can't swap it out for me and that really he had other people waiting in the queue to help. Fair enough.

So I talked to his manager, who also denied that the home button was broken. He finally admitted that it doesn't feel right after comparing it with all the iPhone 4 display models they had in the store. But he said that since it's still responding, he won't swap it out for me, as it's not an issue.

Any ideas what I should do next? It really is a really annoying issue, so I'd like to see it rectified. I'm under the impression that they just wouldn't swap it out for me because my warranty is almost out, so maybe they got the feeling that I was trying to find an issue on a working phone just to get a replacement within the warranty?

Sorry about the long post! Would appreciate any help...

2. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Live with you iPhone that isn't perfect.

Or, go on a different day and try and see somebody else.

3. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

4. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

I would start pressing that button really hard until it won't work anymore and then go back there immediately ;)
    No, but tell them you want to use your warranty for the phone that you bought for your own hard earned cash and that you would like to use it before the warranty expires, and that is NOW.

I mean, you got all the right in the world to get something replaced if it's not like it should be, just because it's your money to start with that you invested into the phone, this you need to tell them, otherwise they will just treat you like they gave away the phone for free and that you haven't put a dime into it and therefor isn't eligible for a replacement.

They always do this, i have noticed, treat you like you haven't put your own cash into a product that you want to work perfectly. They always look at it the other way, if you catch my drift here.

5. fabian9 thread starter macrumors 65816

fabian9

I did enjoy it, until it started making this really annoying noise every time I click the home button. It's perfect apart from that, I look after my stuff quite well.

I've never had a bad experience when it comes to Apple customer service, until yesterday. So I am rather disappointed I have to say. Not just because they wouldn't replace it, but also because of 1) the number of false claims they made and 2) their apparent lack of trust to their customers - something I never thought I'd experience from an Apple employee.

Have you got experience with this? I replaced a broken screen on my 3G once, do you know if it's any more or less difficult than that?

Thanks for all your responses guys!

6. joeshmo2010 macrumors 6502a

Just call apple care and have them send you a replacement instead. So much easier.

7. fabian9 thread starter macrumors 65816

fabian9

I'm not sure that's an option anymore. That "Genius" has probably now put a big fat black mark against my iPhone's serial number.

Worth a shot though I suppose.

8. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

I do understand you!

I was accused of cracking the back on my 3GS when i was in for it to get it changed because it's a common thing to happen to the 3GS..

Anyways, getting to the home button on a 3GS is far different than an ip4!

+1

I wouldn't think so! Try it out at least until it's too late to find out!
    You're not doing anything wrong!

9. Macdude2010 macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

I have tested almost 30 iPhone 4's and 4S's, about 24 of them wiggle a bit, mine did and it annoys me, but I think it might be normal

10. nmork macrumors regular

I've had this happen with like 3 phones now, all of them swapped.

Usually when it does this half of the home button doesn't work. Like if you push on one side of it it won't respond at all. See if this is the case with yours - they should swap it for that.

Barring that, just find a store manager and complain to him. They'll eventually do a warranty swap for you.

11. joeshmo2010 macrumors 6502a

No it's definitely still possible. The genius's can't "flag" the serial number. They can only just deny any out of warranty type damage or replace it at their discretion.