iPhone 4 Won't Back Up

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by smeg36, Jun 26, 2010.

1. smeg36 macrumors regular

When I connect my iPhone 4 to iTunes I get this message "iTunes could not back up the iphone because a session could not be started with the iPhone". This happens on multiple computers. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes. I've done a restore on the iPhone 4. My 3gs backs up with no problem. I have an appointment with the Genius Bar on Monday, but was wondering if anyone has ideas to try and solve this before I go in. Thanks for any suggestions.

Edit-It syncs just fine. It's only the back up that doesn't work.

2. smeg36 thread starter macrumors regular

No one has any ideas I could try to get a successful backup? Threads are getting buried so fast right now, I hope someone can help.

3. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Have you tried right-clicking on your iPhone in the sidebar (in iTunes) and select "Backup"? Will it back-up this way?

5. smeg36 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the suggestions. I did both, but the problem persists.

Yes I have. The same error message comes up.

6. smeg36 thread starter macrumors regular

So I went in for a Genius Bar appointment today to address this issue. They basically told me there was nothing they could do about it because their computers don't allow them to work with backups to prevent customer data being stolen. So I called Apple Tech Support. I've spend a couple hours on the phone with a supervisor trying to troubleshoot this problem, so far without success. He said he's never heard of it before, and spent a lot of time talking with other people there trying to figure it out. None of them knew how to resolve this, so he is talking to the Engineering now, and is going to call me back. I suspect this is going to end in a replacement phone as the issue seems to be something with the phone itself.

7. rang macrumors newbie

Got a solution for the failure to backup your iPhone 4

I just got off the phone with Apple Tech Support.
    And they have a solution for the error message. It is due to a corrupted backup file so do the following:

1) Go to iTunes:preferences:Devices
    2) In the "Device Backups" window select your last backup on that device. If you have other iPhones (I had my old iPhone 3G backup listed) they will show up as well...so choose the device your having issues with.
    3) When you've selected the correct device and the last backup the botton that says "Delete Backup" will darken. Click it.
    4) Go thru and say "OK" when prompted.
    5) Go back into your iTunes app window and **right click** on your device that is having back up issues.
    6) In the pop up window choose "Backup".

That should do the trick. If you have lots of apps like I do (28GB of mostly apps and some music)...it will take awhile.

-rang

8. smeg36 thread starter macrumors regular

I've tried that, and it didn't work for my specific problem. Thanks for the suggestion. I still have a pending case with Apple, but haven't heard back from them in a few days.

9. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

^This

If you really don't want to lose your backup (as in, your iphone is completely blank and you are relying on this one and only backup to restore your settings/photos/etc), you can make a copy of your backup folder found in C:\Documents and settings\user\application data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

Just copy the latest backup (check the time stamp for latest date modified) to your desktop and you can use other programs to remove the necessary data from this folder and its files
    I've also found a copy of this backup found in C:\Documents and settings\user\application data\Apple Computer\iTunes\Mobile Backups

Your OS may vary.

10. smeg36 thread starter macrumors regular

Update - This issue persists, even after multiple attempts with tech support. They think they'll have to replace the phone.

11. totalimba macrumors newbie

Restart

I got the same error message with my 3GS. It wouldn't back up, but sync just fine. A restart solved the problem for me.

12. smeg36 thread starter macrumors regular

Well it didn't on mine. Apple finally replaced it with a new phone yesterday. The new phone backs up just fine. So whatever the problem was, it had to be something with the hardware. I can't imagine how the hardware would cause this problem, but it happened even after a restore, so it must have been. I'm happy now that everything is working fine.

13. althegrrl macrumors newbie

Wow...I'm having this problem, too. What happened to all your data on your phone that you couldn't back up?

14. smeg36 thread starter macrumors regular

I manually backed up my photos and videos. My contacts and calendar sync with Gmail. I lost everything else.