iPhone 4 won't charge (hardware damage?)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by solarguy17, Jul 18, 2012.

1. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

My wife's iPhone 4 stopped charging on anything. I know about a possible iOS 5.1.1 issue but a hard reset and restore didn't help.

It looked closely at the connector on the phone and see a tiny black mark on the back wall of the connector. There is a corresponding black mark on the charger. I think the phone shorted out and burned up the charging circuit becuase the cord still works to charge my phone and our old iPod touch.

Anyone else run into this problem? What are the chance of this simply being a software issue?

Thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Does not sound like a software issue to me. Have you tried a different charger or cable?

3. solarguy17 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes. I tried the cable with 3 different chargers (1 car, 2 wall). None worked for iPhone 4. But did for my iPhone 4s. Also tried to different dock chargers. And a computer.

Also at first the cable in the computer would pop up a "this accessory can't charge warning" but then it stopped completely.