Iphone 4 wont restore

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by applemessiah, Jul 8, 2011.

1. applemessiah, Jul 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2011

applemessiah macrumors member

Hello. Im new to the forums. I have an iphone 4 that was converted to white. it was working perfect before the conversion. A good friend of mine (he repairs iphones) did the conversion and said he used it for a bit after conversion. when i recieved it, it did not power on so i assumed it was battery. i took it home and no matter what i did, it would not power on. Only way it stays on is if plugged into power source. When i connect to pc all it does is show apple logo for about 10 secs then powers off. it will do this all day. As soon as its disconnected it will shut off. I can get it to be recognized by itunes and even put into dfu mode. but no matter what, itunes will not restore. I have also tried to jailbreak using redsnow and greenpoison. The whole computer process goes smooth but after it says done on pc, it continues for about 3 secs on iphone and it turns off completely and goes back to apple logo turning on and off repeatedly. I have tried alot of different things including doing official firmware restores as well as custom firmware restores. Can someone please help? Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.

***EDIT***.....so weird thing is when i plug into wall charger it will boot up normally, show the greenpoison logo and then go to the emergency call screen. But unfortunalety, as soon as i unplug it will shut off.

2. applemessiah thread starter macrumors member

Problem Solved Misteriously!

so just to update my situation and to hopefully help anyone out with this info....i ended up switching out the motherboard from a good iphone 4 (smashed front and back lcd but still works) into my messed up iphone 4. Did the switch and the messed up one works great (now i got a white iphone 4!). I also switched out the batteries too... since i didnt wanna lose any small parts i decided to put broken motherboard into smashed phone. out of curiousity i hooked it up to wall charger and it went to connect to itunes screen. i thought it was still messed up, so i unplugged it and to my surprise it stayed on. so i hooked it up to my computer and attempted a greenpoison jailbreak and it went thru. it went to connect to itunes screen again and so i used to ireb4 to attempt to take it out of recovery loop. it worked! boots correctly and is jailbroken....dont know if it was a loose cable or if switching out the battery was what it was..i suspect it was the battery....hope this helps someone out.

3. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

The white iPhone 4 probably wouldn't boot properly because your friend most likely did not install the parts correctly. The iPhone would not restore due to a hardware failure.

Just out of curiosity, if you're able to switch out batteries and logic boards, why did you get your friend to do the conversion? You seem more experienced than them. :D

4. applemessiah thread starter macrumors member

Well ive been working on iphones for a good while now. ever since i got tired of paying a local guy 60 bucks to do it and it only took him an hr. i can fix most everything on 3g/3gs. Lately ive been coming across alot of broken iphone 4s but was afraid to get into em for some reason, so thats why i let my friend work on em. Now ima just do it myself. i am fixing an iphone 4 tomorrow wit cracked lcd and back cover. im crossing my fingers lol..

5. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I do repairs locally too; the LCD will be a bit tricky at first but mostly just time consuming. Make sure you don't lose the screws and washers that are in the mid frame at the sides, they allow for the signal to pass through. :p