iPhone 4 Won't Update to iOS 5!!!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iLoveiPhone23, Apr 22, 2012.

1. iLoveiPhone23 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I've been trying to update my iPhone 4 to iOS 5 and I'm not having any luck. My iPhone is jailbroken and when I go to update it, it says backup error and that I will lose all of the contents of the device. I don't want to restore because I have lots of things on my phone I'd like to keep without all the trouble of having to put them onto my computer and then back onto my phone. I know that it's possible to upgrade without restoring because my cousin with the exact same phone, same firmware, and jailbroken did it without a problem. Please tell me how or if I can get pass this error. Thanks!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

To go from iOS 4 to iOS 5, the device must be wiped and the media/data restored. This process is largely unnoticed to the end user.

3. iLoveiPhone23 thread starter macrumors newbie

But it's saying it won't restore the contents back onto the phone. It won't finish the backup.

4. kalirob99 macrumors 68000

kalirob99

You have to erase everything, and you can NOT use a previous back up/restore. Actually, you NEVER should, no matter the OS versions matching or not. Seeing as they don't want you jailbreaking lol, they make it difficult.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There is no fault in using a backup of a previous iOS version or a backup at all. The data and settings on my 4S running iOS 5.0.0 are derived from the settings I has on my iPod Touch running iOS 1.1.1 in 2007. I've used the same backup on my 3Gs as well and now my 4S. Never had a problem or shortened battery life on any of my devices.

7. kalirob99 macrumors 68000

kalirob99

Color me paranoid then. :p I've always preferred the long way in a lot of areas, I also don't trust most machines/software to do it properly.

8. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

life must be very uncomfortable not be able to trust anybody/anything…..

OP: did you try to restore to ios 5, put the backup back and than JB? Sometimes it needs the reverse order.

9. kalirob99 macrumors 68000

kalirob99

I wasn't aware, machines qualified to fit, "anybody." lol But sarcasm aside, I'm used to it. I actually enjoy installing/repairing and taking things apart.