Iphone 4 worth switching over?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SoCal70, Jun 28, 2010.

1. SoCal70 macrumors member

Hey guys, I'm currently a Verizon user on the droid eris and it sucks a lot!(battery sucks, lags a lot,etc). Unfortunately, there's still 17 months left on my 2 year contract, but I really want the new iphone 4. Currently, since it's been 7 months, my ETF would be $280, but would the iphone 4 be worth $500 of leaving verizon and signing on with at&t?

Money isn't much of an issue, it's just that I want to know from you iphone 4 users, would you pay $500 for the iphone 4?

Thanks!

2. Suertetres macrumors newbie

I did. If money isn't an issue then I don't see why not. I love mine and my only regret is not buying one for my wife(she said she is happy with her 3GS)

3. jp70 macrumors member

That's what mine said at first too....not the story anymore...lol

4. draz macrumors 6502a

If you don't mind:
    - Holding your phone weird (antenna issue)
    - Yellow spots on your screen (yellow spots)
    - Phone doing random things while talking on it (proximity sensor)
    - Battery dying faster than any phone you ever owned (battery issue)
    - Delicate 'glass' screen (fragilel!)

Then sure go ahead and buy one!

5. handi macrumors member

Let me guess, EVO owner. I say go for it, the phone is worth every penny.

6. draz macrumors 6502a

3G owner since July 2008, future iPhone 4 owner when the thing gets released up north.

7. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Mine doesn't have them.

Sure to be fixed shortly.

Interesting, because I've owned the three previous iPhones and a Google Nexus One. The iPhone 4 easily bests all of those.

It's glass (albeit hardened glass), don't drop it. How much more obvious can it get?

8. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

Not only that, they're stated to be an issue with the phones being shipped before the adhesives can fully cure - for most (if not all) people they spots disappear within a few days.

9. shakenmartini macrumors 6502

If you aren't into android, then sure, the IP4 is quite fantastic as is the Apple ecosystem.

First, the battery life on the iP4 is phenomenal. So far, this is the first smartphone I have ever owned that I can get 18h+ of moderate usage without even thinking about charging up (and yes, the iPhone 3G and 3Gs were bad too). I don't have to compromise on anything and still I am getting fantastic battery life. Even on two days of heavy usage with GPS background tracking, I still made it 26h before I got to the 10% warning.

I can understand exactly where you are coming from, sometimes you just want your phone to do great stuff without having to fiddle with settings, turing radios on and off and all other other daily pains of an android phone. I work with people with android phones and they spend all day fiddling with settings on their phones so their batteries will make it.

Me, I prefer to pull my phone off its charger in the morning and not have to think about its settings, just turn it on when I need to call or do something.

The Apple ecosystem does have its drawbacks compared to android (heavy handed app store control, waiting until apple perfects a feature instead of releasing half baked features). However, those drawbacks do lead to an app store that has some of the best mobile software I have used on any platform (android, WinMO, Palm etc.)

Despite all the signal naysayers, I have to say that reception on my phone is BETTER than my old 3G so I have very few complaints about my iPhone 4.

Before you switch, just make sure ATT works where you need it to, since above all else, when you choose a carrier you need to make sure it works where you do (and this applied equally to Verizon and ATT and others).

10. shakenmartini macrumors 6502

I bought two for this reason.

i also bought my wife a 32 giger. She said she would be happy with 16 gigs, but when I heard the new IP4 had a better camera that could also take video, I counted the number of photos on her old phone and realized she would easily fill up her new phone taking pictures at the same rate, not even considering videos.

She also talks a lot on the phone and so the increased battery life has made her MUCH happier with the IP4 vs. the anemic batteries on the 3G iPhone.

11. randomerratum macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I don't think you'll be dissapointed. Its a spectacular piece of gadgetry. It's so fast and snappy, it's solid and sharp- I couldn't have imagine I'd be more blown away then I was with my first iPhone, but I'm still in awe of this thing. Unexpectedly, I mostly blown away by the screen. And shakenmartini is right; the Apple ecosystem is trustworthy, stable yet manages to leave very little to be desired.

12. decadentdave macrumors 6502

Iphone owner since day 1 first generation and iphone 4 easily beats them all on battery life. Been using it for 5 days and still haven't had to charge the battery whereas my 3g I had to fully charge every 2 days. Battery life=non-issue. The yellow spots on my 4 were "barely" noticeable when I first purchased it and were completely gone within a matter of hours so again non-issue. Never experienced the antenna issue that everyone has been screaming about. Guess I just don't hold mine "weird" so antenna is a non-issue for me. Proximity sensor can do random things like cause your face to hit a keypad button while your talking but only if you are holding it slightly away from your face about an inch so it's just a matter of acclimating yourself to what will trigger it and how far away you should hold it while talking. Delicate screen that's what screen protectors are for even though I've seen people rub a key on the surface and not even make the slightest blemish or scratch. I always handle my iphone with care anyway because it is an electronic device and not a toy.

I have no complaints. Not one.

Buy it.

13. SoCal70 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, At&t service is great in my area and my area where I will attend college this fall.

I also have an ipod touch and I am in love with it.haha.

So is the process of switching my verizon number to at&t relatively painless?

Thanks.

14. decadentdave macrumors 6502

Yes you can transfer the number over and it is far less painful than paying the ETF.

Then again, you could just wait for the "rumored" Verizon model that is "supposedly" coming. Seeing as how you have 17 months left you could just wait and see if you have a preference for Verizon as your carrier. I'll admit if I wasn't grandfathered into AT&T's unlimited data plan I would probably have just waited for Verizon to get it before upgrading. AT&T has been an annoyance with dropped calls (allegedly they are working on this, or so they keep saying) and I have heard Verizon has better coverage so those are the real pros and cons you should be considering, not the phone itself.

15. SoCal70 thread starter macrumors member

Well, I'm going to have to be paying the ETF anyways if I want to get out of verizon now.

And as far as coverage with at&t, my iphone friends say in my county, they haven't had any issues with calling/data/etc. And the area where I'll be attending college this fall, coverage is excellent there as well.

16. MacKenners macrumors newbie

I think if your going to switch over, the sooner the better. itll save you more money in the long run.

case 1: leave verizon now, $280 (ETF) + $200 (16 gb iphone 4) = $480

case 2: leave verizon 5 months from now, $230 (ETF - 5 months at $10 a month) + ~$300 (5 months worth of cell bills at $60 a month) + $200 (16 gb iphone 4) = ~$730

as you can see, the longer you wait, the more you will end up paying over time. If you definitely have your mind made up on switching, the sooner the better.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Since you're on the hook for the ETF, I'd advise to hold off, the longer you wait the lower the cost it will be.

Also if you like the android platform, check out the incredible and also the droid-x that's coming out next month.

I can't speak for the Eris, but my Nexus One's battery life is about the same as my old (and long gone) iPhone 3Gs.

18. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I'm very happy with mine! I haven't had the problems others seem to be having. (I'm not saying those who are reporting problems aren't having them, just that I've been fortunate thus far). I've also been around the block a few times, so I have come to expect some issues with any new technology or newly revised product.:rolleyes:
    I made the switch from a 3g- which I loved in its day. The iPhone 4 is wicked fast by comparison! I love the new features and the screen is just amazing. So for me, it's been well worth the money and I would gladly do it again. :)

19. jbro1999 macrumors regular

I say do it too. You can sell your Cell and ipod Touch to make up some of the money to pay the EFT.

20. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I _really_ like iPhones. I've had every model.

I'm also a big Apple supporter, I am composing this on my new fully loaded 15" MacBook Pro, a computer that I replace each time a new model is released. The point being, I have years of experience with Apple computers and other products which have all been fantastic.

But you do _not_ want an iPhone 4.

I received mine, set it up, was enjoying the experience, then a call came through. I picked up the phone and within 10 seconds the signal was gone. Now I have an ugly Apple designed "bumper" purposely designed to patch what is a defect. It covers up the beauty of this phone. The gorgous stainless steel surround which is the antenna can no longer be seen. Nor can the finely beveled edges of the glass panels. It makes the phone look cheap and it precludes ones ability to use any other case. It's ugly patch for a problem that Apple has yet to identify.

Considering the position you are in I would advise you to wait until June 2011. That's the month that Apple typically releases the next generation iPhone. If you wait until then to purchase one, you will get one that is greatly improved over this one, and you will be very happy you waited.

The iPhone 4 is the first all new iPhone since the original. They have many bugs to work out, all of which will be done by June 2011. That's the phone you want. You will be thrilled you waited. Especially since it impacts your upgrade path with AT&T.

21. boxster99t macrumors member

Some of use paid $599, day one--Launch Day 2007 8 GB iPhone. It was worth it then, but I knew I had no reception issues with AT&T (as I was then an AT&T customer). You need to know about reception where you are--phone to phone, the iPhone 4 beats the droid.

But will you kick yourself, if next year the iPhone comes to Verizon?

One thing you might try is buy an iPhone 4 as a new line, and if you like it, then cancel the Verizon/droid, and then pay the ETF.

22. SoCal70 thread starter macrumors member

Probably not, as long as I end up with an iphone 4 as soon as possible. Both at&t and verizon have good coverage in my area.

And that's what I intend to do probably in July, get the iphone 4,then cancel with verizon+pay ETF.

23. SoCal70 thread starter macrumors member

That's it, so my droid eris decided to bug out on me and shut itself down every 5 minutes.....soo.....I'm switching over in a few weeks!=D