Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
I have had my iPhone 4 since launch day so think around 2 years.
I have just noticed over the last 2 weeks that my screen has developed a yellowy orange tinge to the left side. It is a semi circle.. ----> )
Like that at the edge of the screen and is around 1/2 cm wide!

It doesn't look like glue as I have had it 2 years and isn't on the glass itself as I have lifted the protective plastic and rubbed to see. It def looks like something underneath the glass. No pixels seem to be dead just horrible burned in semi circle.

Anyone know what this could be and what has caused it and also how it may be possible to fix.
Am guessing 2 years old Apple won't do anything for me and if they did would be expensive!?

Any info please help, thanks :0(

iMoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
Can we get a picture?

Yeah will sort one and upload it. Shame we cant upload to a mac forum directly with an iOS device (or can we?)
Looks very similar to the problems people were getting when they first got their phones. Strange how mine has took 2 years to develop.
It is very faint when first turned on if left alone a while, but then gets stronger after around 5 mins so seems as though heat affects it!?

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Yeah will sort one and upload it. Shame we cant upload to a mac forum directly with an iOS device (or can we?)
Looks very similar to the problems people were getting when they first got their phones. Strange how mine has took 2 years to develop.
It is very faint when first turned on if left alone a while, but then gets stronger after around 5 mins so seems as though heat affects it!?

had the exact same thing same location too. on my two year old iPhone 4. luckily i had applecare they replaced it for free. Do a search for this its a common(well sorta common) problem at the start. weird how mine happened after almost 2 years also. They might replace it for free without applecare since it was a problem they should know about. If not its 150 for a new iPhone 4.

iMoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
Sorry, will update with picture next week as i have been away. looks the same colour of the pic posted except it is more prominent and also a bit darker after a few minutes.
It's strange how this has happened to a few people after this length of time. hopefully a certain software update or game hasn't caused this to show now as games become more intensive on the phone thus create more heat.

Was hoping that if the iPhone 5 (if thats what the next will be called) was to catch my eye i could sell this iPhone 4 on fleabay and then use money towards new one. However i will get considerably less with the screen like this as it is very noticeable if on safari with the white background.
£150 isn't too bad if was my fault but then i have to decide if the mark knocks off £150 off the value as in this phone in it's current state v a new iPhone 4!?

infoseeker

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2013
I have the same problem but it's on an iPhone 4S. A yellow burn mark also on left side of screen. Looks exactly like the pic on this forum, it's just a line instead of a circle. Anyone know what this is yet?

supermassive

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2010
Seems to be a component, getting real hot.

If it was the iPhone 5 then there sits the battery, dont know what is in the 4 at that location. Anyway Apple should aknowledge this and replace for free.

muy picante

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2012
I've got the same problem with iphone 4 - strangely, it developed 2 years after purchase - there is dark brown spot in top right side of screen and light brown line in the center of left side of screen.
I don't care about it too much, as phone is being used only as back up from time to time. there are no problems with my 4s at the moment, but who knows what will be in future.

ttinc

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2013
Glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem...mine happened a little after having it for two years as well -- I've had it for about 3 years now.

I've tried taking it to various apple stores over time and none of them have offered to replace it even though it is a hardware defect.

I've thought about buying a replacement screen for it on ebay, but what's to say that it won't happen again if it indeed is a faulty component that is over heating? I'm pretty sure it's on the side where the battery is, (left side of the screen) but one time that I took it into an apple store, the genius said he opened it and my battery looked to be fine -- so I wonder what else it could possibly be.

Thanu

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2014
Same issue

I do have the same problem started from last week. I am having iphone 4 which is 3 years old.:(

Mariouranjek

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2015
Ok i just noticed this yellow stain on the left side of my screen somewhere near the centar.

My phone was a little warm because of charging and using at the same time and i turned it off quickly and put it in the fridge for 2-3 min.

After i turned back on the stain was gone and appeared in the next 5 min.
If this is not cheap fix i can live with that but My question is does it spread??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.