Iphone 4-Yellow Screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mak713, Jun 24, 2010.

1. mak713 macrumors member

Hello!

I seem to have really bad luck when it comes to Iphone's it seems. Last your when I got my 3GS the screen was yellowish and it looked washed off. This time around the screen is gorgeous owing to its higher resolution but I prefer the bluish screen as opposed to the yellowish one that I got. I remember having my 3GS replaced once for that. Should I go to the apple store sometime next after all the craziness dies down and have one of the geniuses look at it to see if they could swap it for me? Are all screens pretty much yellowish this time around?

Thanks
    Mak
    PS: I don't have any yellow tints or anything. Just the whole screen in general appears to be yellowish.

2. Eluzion macrumors 6502

Everyone I've seen so far has been "yellowish", mine included. If you watch that HTC EVO 4G vs iPhone 4 video, it's pretty apparent. The only iPhone I've ever had that didn't have that yellow tint was the original iPhone, and that was limited to the first few batches that came out.

3. mak713 thread starter macrumors member

Hey Eluzion!

Thanks for the response. So, do you think, I am might as well get used to it?

Is there anybody else who would like to share info regarding the screens please?

Mak

4. dmx macrumors 6502

I don't know how "yellow" your phone is, but I'd go to the Apple Store and compare it to the screens on the demo units. If it is any worse, talk to a Genius about it.

5. ProMod macrumors 6502a

Do you have a 16GB or 32GB? I'm wondering if that is what makes the difference. My 32GB is much cooler (bluish) than my girlfriend's 16GB. If I had to take one, I think I'd take hers, though somewhere in the middle would be perfect. Again, unless you have two phones side by side, you'd probably never notice.

On the 3G, I had a black one with what I considered a near perfect screen, while her white phone was pretty grossly oversaturated and had a warm pinkish tone to it.

6. Star-fire macrumors 6502

Comparing to my 3GS, yes it's yellow, but just looking at it away from the 3GS, I like it better, seems pretty neutral to me.

[​IMG]

I have a calibrator here at work (Graphic Designer) I can use use to measure the temperature of the screen. I'll try it out.

Ok after measuring the 3GS in the pic above measured 7000k while the iPhone 4 measured 6300-6200k. So the iPhone 4 screen I would say is more neutral, it actually about the same place I like to have my screen here at work calibrated.

7. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Mine's "yellow" compared to my 2G iPhone, but its white's are closer to my MBP's screen than my 2G's. In fact, the 2G looks too blue now.

Here's a picture I took yesterday but decided not to post.

This was taken with a Lumix point and shoot, and doesn't have great color reproduction (see how green the MBP is) but it's the comparison I'm looking at.

Edit: I adjusted the colors a bit to make the MBP more grey. It took down the greenish hue a bit.

Attached Files:

8. mak713 thread starter macrumors member

ProMod,

I have the 32GB one. I think I'll probably schedule an appointment sometime next week and have one of the geniuses take a look at it to see how it compares to some of the other ones on display.

9. ProMod macrumors 6502a

Can you tell me how you did that? I have an i1 Display 2 colorimeter that I use on my Cinema Display and MBP. How do you get it to read your iPhone?

10. Star-fire macrumors 6502

I used a attachment for measuring ambient light, and just placed it right on the glass, but I believe most calibrators can not do that, this was a pretty expensive kit.

11. ProMod macrumors 6502a

Mine does ambient light. I'm going to try it.

12. ProMod macrumors 6502a

Didn't work for me. Mine measured in an like 10200k. Don't think that's possible!

13. Star-fire macrumors 6502

Not sure, but I what I measure seems pretty accurate.

I used an i1, but it's an older big one.

14. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I've noticed the same thing on my new phone compared the my old 3G. I probably wouldn't have even noticed it if I didn't have my old phone next to me to compare.

15. ProMod macrumors 6502a

Probably an older professional model. Mine is nice and considered a pro tool, but on the lower end.

16. johnredcorn macrumors newbie

My 16gb also has a yellowish tint like the units pictured in this thread. I didnt really notice it until I got home and compared it to my ipad and cinema display. The new iphone may be more accurate, but I difinitely prefer color on the other devices. When the craziness dies down, I will go up to the apple store and compare to the display units.

17. sjw macrumors regular

Er... the EXACT same thing came up when the 3G was released - people were complaining it was too blue because they were used to the warmer screen of the first iPhone. Now it's just happening in reverse - too funny!

I think it will take a little getting used to, but I was flicking through album artwork last night on both and comparing, and I definitely prefer 4's colour tone, it's much warmer and richer (the HD screen no doubt helps a bit too).

18. Chetoc230 macrumors member

19. stevearm macrumors 6502a

It's definitely warmer, but as a photographer who does a lot of callibration, it's definitely the most accurate iPhone display. The 3GS looks terrible in comparison, very cold.

Whites actually look white on the iPhone 4.

20. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

6000-6500K is about right. This is the temperature we calibrate professional grade projector. The white should be more white instead of bluish.

21. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Yes, too funny. I'd say if it's in 6000-6500K then it's perfect.

22. Chetoc230 macrumors member

theres no setting in the iphone where it will show what color temp your at?

im curious as to what my phone's temp is at...

23. Kavik macrumors member

I unfortunately came across this same issue with the 32GB iPhone 4 I ordered from AT&T which arrived two days ago. Compared to my year and a half old 3G (on the left below), the iPhone 4's display (on the right) has a definite greenish/yellow cast.

[​IMG]

As someone mentioned in the Apple discussion forums, it looks like a green fog over the screen. This iPhone 4 also isn't nearly as bright as my 3G and doesn't have the same level of contrast or clairity, even with the increased resolution of the Retina display. I honestly find it a little dingy looking and not as easy to read text on. Not to mention, all blue and grey tones end up looking more turquoise or cyan as you can see below.

[​IMG]

24. Kavik macrumors member

Update...

I checked out the iPhone 4 display units at the AT&T Store over lunch and both of them look like my 3G--brighter with true blues. The manager even agreed with me that the screen didn't look quite right. Guess I might try to exchange this one.

25. SmackP macrumors member

Did you manage to return it for a good one?