iPhone 4: YouTube video quality horrendous

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by fiddysent, Jun 26, 2010.

1. fiddysent macrumors member

fiddysent

Is this a known issue? I tried a google search with no results on this specific issue. Just like title says. YouTube is crap on my iPhone 4. Software issue?

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Do you experience that with all YouTube videos?
    My experience is totally the opposite, Shakira's videos look awesome on mine!

3. mickeysworld macrumors member

Having the same problem. Over 3G, it's awful, on wifi it's clear as day.

4. witnessthefunk macrumors member

witnessthefunk

I agree....I am noticing the exact same thing. If you load a video over 3g its terrible...but if you load that exact same video over wifi it is amazingly clear. Im thinking it is the youtube app loading a certain quality of video depending on the network that the phone is currently on. I bet when the iphone 4 is jailbroken, the 3g unrestrictor app will fix this issue.

5. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

same problem on 3g. this is REALLY annoying. makes the video unwatchable

6. CJisohsocool macrumors 6502

It's always been like that. At&t makes the quality lower so you dont eat up all the data.

7. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Agreed. I've owned all three previous iPhones and it's always worse if you are not on WiFi.

8. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

this company is criminal

9. Wegee macrumors member

Truveo

Try using Truveo Video and search for youtube videos: over 3G it's almost like using wi-fi.

10. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

When iPhone 4 jailbreak comes out, you can install 3G Unrestrictor which corrects this problem

11. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

:eek: This is news to me. Guess this explains why YouTube quality always wildly varied on my 3G.

I just watched the Star Trek 2009 trailer on WiFi and then 3G... got an HD version with WiFi, and a horribly compressed version on 3G.

Does this trick it into giving the same quality as WiFi?

12. Wegee macrumors member

Yes, way better than 3G, perhaps a little worse than wi-fi.
    The only problem is that you don't have the usual youtube tools like comments, user's pages etc, but just an index of searched videos.

13. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

This is awesome! Thanks. I was getting really annoyed that my WiFi connection at work is throttled to 1Mbps, while my 3GS is generally 4-5. So I get great quality after a long wait, or crap quality in no time. Ugh. Truveo is fantastic.

14. Ryans523 macrumors newbie

Solutions

I got my iPhone 4 and had the same issue and was very upset, I found a few solutions in another thread though. One is that application previously posted, the other is to use safari browser, and on the video click HD and it will come out just as clear as when you are on wifi

15. Unity0is0power macrumors newbie

Lol... That is just sad bro. As if the iPhone 3g's quality could go any lower. I'm mostly on 3G, so their is really no YouTube for me. Seriously apple/AT&T, I want them to watch a video on 3G-YouTube and then explain what was going on in the video. I'm not sure if every one has as bad a quality-experience as me but it really is as the post says, "horrendous".

16. D3lta macrumors 6502a

I use the mobile YouTube site through Safari. Hit the HQ button and the quality is great, even over 3G. Just add a shortcut to the home screen and you'll be set.

17. X2D macrumors newbie

As the above posted stated, this is the best and I think only way to get HQ videos over 3G.

Once you do that, move the other youtube app in a folder and forget about it forever unless they have an update to allow HQ on 3G.

+1 m.youtube.com

18. jpleon macrumors newbie

i got the iphone 4 ;) and i am on m.youtube.com

but cant find the hd button?