iPhone 4G, 4Gs or iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Thisis, May 9, 2011.

1. Thisis macrumors newbie

2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I hate when people refer to things as "4G", as in Fourth Generation Apple Product. For any phone product, 4G should be used as a speed measurement.

Side note, the original iPhone is not "iPhone 2G" - it's just iPhone.

If the next iPhone does have 4G speeds, then they would probably call it "iPhone 4G".

3. jayenh macrumors 6502a

IPhone 5. It doesn't need part of it's spec advertised in it's name any more. They've gone with simply numbering the phones and I can't see them changing that.

4. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think iPhone 5 would be good, especially since it's rumored to have the A5 processor (and the iPhone 4 had the A4)

5. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

If it has 4G speed, I think it will be called iPhone 4G. If not, it'll be the iPhone 5.

6. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

If i were Steve Jobs, i'd call it the eyePwn5.

7. luked14 macrumors 6502

Eventually, I'm sure that Apple will drop the numbers from the name, and each year it will be the "new iPhone." Then there will just be a year associated with each iPhone, just like Macs. The next one will most likely be the iPhone 5 though.

8. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

I'd call it iPhone. We don't call a MacBook by its mackbook Generation. Calling the new iPad as the iPad 2 was a horrible call. The only reason iPhones get names is because they sell 2 different models at once. Just sell them
    Like cars. This year will be the 2011 model iPhone, but since we are stuck
    With model names I'll say iPhone 5.

9. L I G H T I N G macrumors regular

If its only enhanced a bit then iphone 4gs, if its a complete revolution, then iphone 5

10. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

iPhone 5

If it was the iPhone 4G/4GS/4S it would be a monumentally stupid marketing move. All it will do is cause confusion. The standalone number is better, and the number will actually be representative of the generation of phone you have.

Agreeing with the guy who posted earlier, I think they eventually will remove the number. 'iPhone 14' just doesn't have a great ring to it.

11. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (device; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

iPhone 5.
    Anything else just sounds stupid. But in all honesty, I really think they should drop the numbers and just call them "iPhone". They don't change the names of the MacBooks and iMacs with each new revision. Same with the iPod Touch. If people want to specify, they can say which generation iPhone they're talking about.

12. iFiend macrumors 65816

If it's 4G compatible I definitely think they'll call it iPhone 4G, it's the prefect opportunity to (looks the same as the 4, but with 4G).

They definitely won't be calling it the iPhone 4Gs. That makes no sense

iPhone 5 if it's not 4G compatible, for sure.

13. AsianChexMix macrumors regular

iPhone 4G sounds like a huge possibility with AT&T saying they are 4G capable and trying to use that as a marketing term. I don't really care what it's called as long as it's worth an upgrade from the 4 to this new one.

14. Biolizard macrumors 6502

It definitely will not be the iPhone 4G. Neither ATT nor Verizon are in the process of deploying networks that the ITU would define as '4G', despite what their marketing crap wants you to believe.

Apple, as we know well, does not capitulate to the network operators like every other manufacturer. Their phone is simply called the 'iPhone'; the name doesn't change per operator for the same device (a practice I've always found surreal). Given this, and the fact that they must satisfy international markets with a single build of the phone (CDMA version aside), many of whom have only just auctioned off spectrum for 4G connectivity, there is absolutely zero chance of Apple introducing a phone with so-called '4G' connectivity or naming a phone as such until it starts to make its presence felt across the world.

15. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

I'm banking on the iPhone 5, I think our days of adding Gs and Ss are over. I do think that we'll eventually move to just calling them iPhones without any kind of numbering system, but I wouldn't expect that to happen until the 6th generation.