iPhone 4G Invisible Shield

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by euphrus, Jun 4, 2010.

1. euphrus macrumors member

After seeing the new design for the iPhone 4G, it looks like the application of an invisible shield will be easier. Because putting on shields for iphones and ipods in the past have been difficult because of the rounded surfaces and lint accumulates under the edges over months. I was just wondering and maybe some of you have thought that maybe it would be easier to install and maintain with the new case design.

2. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

It should be easier, but that all depends on the shield manufacture.

3. ChrisGonzales90 macrumors 6502a

ChrisGonzales90

I think he was talking about THIS

[​IMG]

\:rolleyes:

4. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

Yes, I understand that. What I was referring to, was the way the manufacture (any one of them) make it.

I had a IV on my Droid. The bubbles (^$&#* bubbles) were driving me crazy! Had to take it off.

5. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

That's not the product as I've seen it successful on the droid with no bubbles. That's more an issue with how you applied it, not the product itself.

6. DifferentialApp macrumors regular

Ugh yeah. The installation was the most dreaded part of getting an ipod touch or something like that. i do hope this one will be better.

what do you guys think about the back of the leaked one? do you thikn it will be as equally likely to be scratched? sorry, but i havent really looked into all of the details :eek:

7. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

We have a store in Irvine that professionally installs these shields.... we got lucky here in OC, CA.

http://fusionofideas.com/

8. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

I think/heard (and really hope) that it will (might) be glass (or ceramic). this will be (i think) much better for phone reception and definitely harder to scratch than stupid plastic :)

9. walds11 macrumors 6502a

I am sure that it will be easier to install with the flat back. I splurged and paid $10 to have the clear coat skin installed, both back and screen protector. I highly recommend the clear coat skin because it is not super sticky like other skins and it does not have an orange peel affect like the Zagg IS.

clear-coat.com

10. bwlucas macrumors member

I have one on my 3G, installed two of them. Both took me an hour, and as long as you take your time, they are easy to put on without air bubbles. It's a great product except that after 4 or 5 months, the corners always start to come up and then you have to get a new shield. The damn corners never stay down long enough.

With the new iPhone design, that probably won't be a problem. However the only reason I went with the Zagg, was due to the plastic back on the 3G/3GS that scratches really easily (and I didn't want a bulky case, I wanted to see the Apple Logo!) With the new iPhone coming out soon, the back is glass, so I doubt an Invisible Shield would be necessary. I don't think I'll be as concerned about the back scratching.

11. euphrus thread starter macrumors member

I've never really heard of clear-coat...how is that any different from invisible shield?

12. kyleb822 macrumors member

kyleb822

From what I've heard, I think Invisible Shield is much better than Clear Coat

13. walds11 macrumors 6502a

clear-coat is another company that manufactures and sells a skin product. I've had my installed about 3 months ago. No orange peel affect and holds up very well. No complaints. Local company. They have a kiosk at my local mall.

Not necessarily. No orange peel affect and they hold up very well.

14. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

Thats where we got our two iPhones and our iPad invisi-shielded. They rock! Perfect installation every single time!

@Bwlucas, fwiw, when my corners started to peel from being slid in and out of my jeans pockets, I just took an exacto knife and cut off the offending edges. voila! No mas problemo.

15. elephunkman macrumors 65816

I go to my mall and have it installed by the kiosk. Clear coat.

16. ogdogg macrumors 6502

Do invisible shields protect as good as a case? My phone is in perfect condition after a year of wear and tear thanks to my bulky case. Will an invisible shield protect that well?

17. walds11 macrumors 6502a

No. A skin is not going to protect against drops like a case would. It will protect again light bumps, scuffs and scratches.

18. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

They do rock! Perfect install every time, with life time warranty!

19. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I think it will be a little easier. I tried IS on my 3GS, and did not like the way it looked, so I took it off. Now I'm using the anti-glare screen from Apple, as it looks great, and shows very little fingerprints.