iPhone 4G / Microsim / Nail screws

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by imkingofjungle, Jun 5, 2010.

1. imkingofjungle macrumors member

From leaked photos of the iPhone 4g, there seems to be no nail screws visible anywhere, this means it will be even harder to take apart, and for users to replace a battery that is already NOT user replaceable friendly even harder.

The presence of a microsim will also hinder an unlock of the phone.

These two problems alone has already caused hesitation for me to go out and purchase the phone.

Anyone have similar thoughts? or solutions to these two issues?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not sure about the screws but the microsim will not hinder an unlock.
    You can always cut a regural size sim to a microsim size and use various adapters to use the modified sim or microsim to any regural cellphone.

3. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Why is the microsim a hindrance? It's just like a regular SIM but smaller.

4. jambobowron macrumors regular

jambobowron

i think you'll find one prototype had screws, the other didn't - i dont know which way around they were (i.e if the final product will have them or if they removed them in an earlier prototype) maybe someone later on will highlight it

5. Marty Macfly macrumors regular

Gizmodo got inside the phone fairly easily. It shouldn't be too hard for the people who, for whatever reason, feel that they need to void their warranties. ;)

A microSIM has no effect on unlocking. Just shave your own SIM from any provider in the world down to fit in. Simple.

6. imkingofjungle thread starter macrumors member

what if i wanted to use my relative's sim inside my iphone when im in hong kong?
    i cant cut everyone's sim card everytime they let me borrow their payed sim card.

7. imkingofjungle thread starter macrumors member

i hope the final product will have nail screws in them.

8. Marty Macfly macrumors regular

I think you'll find that the iPhone and iPad won't be the only devices using MicroSIM for long. It will be an issue for perhaps the first few months, but there is unlikely to be an unlock for the same amount of time, so it will all balance out. What manufacturer wouldn't want to take advantage of the space saved by a smaller SIM card?

9. elephunkman macrumors 65816

All this is speculation until the photos appear on Apple's site after the announcement.