iPhone 4g Unopened Box - Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by morriscode, Sep 1, 2010.

1. morriscode macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I've tried searching the internet for an answer but I can't find anything concrete. I ordered an iphone 4 from apple's website as an upgrade to my existing phone. This extended my contract, but I plan to just keep using my old phone.

I have the new iphone 4 unopened in a box, and I'm selling it on ebay. This is where there's some conflict, do I open it and remove the sim? Without activation the sim shouldn't contain any information unique to my account should it?

Sorry if this has been asked a lot. I did try searching your forum first, but couldn't find anything definitive.

Thanks!

2. DroidRules macrumors 65816

The sim is tied to your phone number/account. If you don't take it out it will shut off your current phone and then any calls made by the person that buys your phone will be up to you.
    Long story short, take out the sim.

3. morriscode thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but the phone came from Apple, how did they tie it to my account?

4. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Because you put your info in to get the phone. Unless you paid full price.... of course if you did that what's the point of selling it seeing as you won't make much if any money back.

5. morriscode thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again! I guess I'll open it up and pull the sim card out.

6. DroidRules macrumors 65816

No problem.... I know this is true for a fact. Bought 2 i4's on launch and sold them both. One wanted it activated so he could use it as a touch until jb came out so he could unlock for t-mo. I was out of town when the wife "activated" my i4 which of course left my 3gs inoperable until I went to at&t and got a new sim. Good luck with the sale.

7. Komiksulo macrumors 6502

What country are you in? I ordered an iPhone 4 from the Canadian Apple store online and it was without a SIM. I got my SIM separately from my carrier on an existing account. Are the phones from Apple packaged with SIMs in some areas?

8. FrauHasSpoken macrumors member

9. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Care to explain? Sounds like you're talking out the ol brown eye to me.

The phone, ordered through Apple is tied to his AT&T account, which means so is his sim card that comes with the phone. IF phone is sent to buyer and buyer activates phone with the sim card in the phone, it will turn off his current AT&T phone and any charges on the sim (seeing as it will be tied to the OP's account) will be up to the OP to pay.

Move along little guy, your mommy and daddy are probably getting worried about you.

10. dougbrowne macrumors member

Alright, let me set something straight. If the box is SEALED from the FACTORY then the sim doesn't have any of your account data ON it.