iPhone 4G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shortlex, Jul 14, 2008.

1. shortlex macrumors member

shortlex

Comades

Now I was wondering if they are in the process developing the a next level of the iPhone 3G.

We have this teacher at my old school that I have graduated about a year ago, he pretty much was the main reason for the massive up grades of all the macs in our school with the new iMacs and Macbooks. He is apparently an ex employee from Apple HQ in America.

Now I was working today, and a friend of mine who still goes there said that there is a next generation iPhone coming out. It took me awhile to understand that he wasn't talking about the iPhone 3G that got released in Australia, but some newer iPhone that Apple has been developing. He said that it will be released somewhat later this year, maybe at MacWorld 2009, but he said that it's gonna be released in America first.

What I want to know if anyone knows something about some new iPhone in the works?

~shortlex

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

There will always be a next gen in development, that's pretty much how product development works. You don't need to be an insider to know that there will be a next generation, and that they're already working on it.

3. brisweeney macrumors regular

brisweeney

1st gen iPhone last year.....iPhone 3G this year.....im feeling the 3rd gen iPhone could be next year! :rolleyes:

4. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

I love when people say things to me like, "Oh you got the new iPhone? I heard they're already working on a newer, even better one."

I always just say, "Well, I'd hope so..."

5. iWizzard macrumors regular

4G will start be roled out in 2012 (random google source) and use 2,6 GHz band. The speed will be 100-1000 Mbits.

In sweden these permits were licensed out 2008-05-08 and is valid for 15 years.

6. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

ATT is updating their 3G network to 20mbp/s next year. I'm sure Apple will release a thinner revision with better casing, a better camera, much better battery life, and a lot more. The iPhone 3G has a 3.5G chip, so you'll be good speed-wise until ATT's 4G rollout in 2010.

7. MojoWill macrumors 6502

8. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

I agree with MojoWill.

There's always something newer and better around the corner. Thats life.

If Apple and the carriers continue to do early upgrades, then whats the problem?

9. patin22 macrumors member

4G??
    /sigh

Yes, Apple is currently working on a 3rd generation iPhone. :rolleyes:

10. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

This is why I love people.

"3G, does that mean it has 3 Gigabytes now? Why would I want 3 Gigabytes when the old one had 8?"

"4G! 4G is the name for the next one!"

"3rd generation? I thought this was only the 2nd one?"

You know. I guess the biggest effect of the iPhone is that it moved non-techie people into smartphones. It moved them away from Motorola/Samsung/LG flips to phones that can browse the internet, check email, etc - typical realm of the smartphone. I would liken the same effect to the iPod, how it took people into MP3 Players, even though it wasn't the first MP3 Player at all.

Ahhh. Noobs. :)

11. iPaul macrumors regular

I would certainly hope that they are working on a better one! No company releases a product and then sits around...they started working on the next one before this one was even announced, I am sure.

12. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

4G is a ways away. It will not be released as quickly as 3G was released from the original, imo