iPhone 4S and Flourescent Lights + Camera?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bobpedro, Oct 14, 2011.

1. bobpedro macrumors newbie

Can anyone confirm if the 4S suffers the same issues as the 4 when it comes to taking photos indoors under flourescent lights? The big blue blob in the middle of the photos is what I'm referring to.

2. Baggy Spandex macrumors 6502

Baggy Spandex

No camera does well with fluorescent lights. The shutter or image capture process can sometimes catch a light in between color shifts.

3. bobpedro thread starter macrumors newbie

Someone with the same question as myself and no answer, what's your point?

iphone 4 is the only camera I've ever used or seen used that does this under fluorescent lighting.

I was asking if the 4S suffers from the same problem as the 4.

4. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

All fully automatic cameras will have a problem with fluorescent lighting. It depends on the shutter speed and shutter type. The colors are shifting at 120 times per second. A high speed shutter or different lighting is the only answer. Open the windows, use incandescent lighting or even try the flash (not very effective).

The iPhone 5 and 6 will have the same problem. Even a professional DSLR will have trouble under those conditions.

5. terraphantm macrumors 68040

The white balance is much better with the 4S than with the 4. It's fairly usable under fluorescent lights.

6. PDE macrumors 68020

Actually my old iPhone original didn't have this problem, nor did my friend's iPhone 3G. Nor does my panasonic lx4 (nor of course my Nikon d300). My iPhone 4 is truly terrible in this regard.

It would seem that the fix would be easy: give the user a few pre-set white balance settings to choose from, for extreme circumstances.

7. bobpedro thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not a white balance issue if its not on the entire image. Its a blob in the center. White balance effects the entire image.

8. jerrahh macrumors regular