iPhone 4S AND Galaxy S2

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Stealthipad, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I want to use both. Which would be better, have my SIM card provisioned for the iPhone and use a SIM card adapter to use my SG2 OR provision a full size SIM for the SG2 and cut it down to use in the iPhone 4s when I want to use it.

I am leaning towards leaving the SIM on the iPhone 4s Unlimited plan and using the adapter when using the SG2. Visual voice mail would be the only problem. I do not expect to use the VVM but was wondering if I would be able to have AT&T remove VVM from my iPhone plan OR would I still be able to call my VM number on the Android to get my messages while under the iPhone plan.

What do you think?

2. timberga macrumors member

Use the iPhone 4S SIM and get an adapter....thats what I do. :) (Did it with the iPHone 4 as well)

3. Stealthipad thread starter macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

THANKS! That is what I thought.

What about voice mail. Does it work by just calling you VM number on your Android?

4. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

The correct way to do it is to have two lines. That's what I do. Sim swapping is a thing of the past. Eventually you'll get caught now that the carriers have automated scanning for IMEI's.

5. CmdrThor macrumors member

Get caught doing what?

6. CorbinDallas macrumors member

Hey can't answer your question about voicemail but just something to note.
    I also have the Galaxy S2 that I use in conjunction with my 4s. I noticed that after using the Iphone and switching to the galaxy that my my incoming text messages are all delayed to upwards of an hour. After 10+ phone calls with AT&T nothing has been resolved as of yet. What I have personally figured out so far is this:

When someone using IOS5 sends a message to my galaxy phone - their device defaults using Imessage (even though I'm not). The phone seems confused in that I no longer am using IOS and the message just sits in limbo until it finally goes out quite some time later.

I thought this may have happened because my data plan was still registered under Iphone4S unlimited. So - I had At&T switch my plan to personal smartphone data unlimited (Droid plan) and after using a brand new sim this still occurs. It's extremely irritating and if not resolved I will probably return the Galaxy and just stick to Iphone.

7. CmdrThor macrumors member

Seems like you may want to disable iMessage altogether so other iOS5 devices don't get confused when you switch.

8. Stealthipad thread starter macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Both plans cost me the same so AT&T wouild not be loosing a penny. Why should it matter if I use the 4S Unlimited or just the Smartphone unlimited.:cool:

Do not want two different lines.:mad:

9. a042349 macrumors member

Rubbish. The carriers don't care if you swap SIMs as long as both phones are approved/sold by them (and I've even used several that they don't sell w/o issue). Having two lines while being more expensive also defeats the whole idea of swapping phones and having your one "main mobile" number follow you.

I've had every iPhone, about 5-7 Androids, and even a WM7 phone and swap SIMs (AT&T) whenever the mood strikes. Right now I have a 4s and an HTC Desire HD with AT&T 3G bands (overseas purchase) and swapping works fine.

I do have VVM turned off on my account for this reason, but I get so few VM's it's not a feature I care about.

Go fourth, have fun!

10. CorbinDallas macrumors member

imessage on my 4S has been disabled...nothing changed.

11. CmdrThor macrumors member

It's possible that the other person's phone still remembers that you have iOS5 and iMessage. I don't know how long without having iMessage enabled it will take before the device decides to send you texts only ..

12. CorbinDallas macrumors member

Agreed...this was my thought as well. I've had my family (using IOS5) do a hard reset thinking maybe that would cure it but no luck yet.

13. j4zb4 macrumors 6502a

j4zb4

I think this automatic imessage thing has backfired...

for eg. If you are using bb, you send a bbm message.. If you stop using the bb, you just tell them you aren't using bbm and they would text you... Here they would have to remove your email address from your contacts for the phone to send you a text message instead of an imessage...

Am I making sense..?

14. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Let's see you can't use both at the same time. You can't get both subsidized one one line so you'll have to pay the off contract price for one. What exactly are you going to get caught doing and why would AT&T care that you use two phones one at a time?

15. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I have been a very frequent sim swapper in the past, even with two lines on AT&T, I'm such a smartphone addict. I always have at least four new phones I'm testing / using.

That said, recently the carriers (not just AT&T, I'm on VZN also) are beginning to scan 24/7 to verify the unique identifiers they have for the phone you have registered on a given line, is the one that is always using that line.

To keep a very long story short, there is some sort of scam going on which has enabled the "bad guys" to run up both uncharged airtime, and unpaid data usage. Currently for long standing regular subscribers like me it's only impact is time spent on the phone having extra charges removed from my statement. In fact AT&T is so courteous & accomodating once they learned I was not involved they issued me a $100 credit. Suffice to say it was still a hassle.

16. Stealthipad thread starter macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Neither of my phones, the iPhone 4S or the GS2 are subsidized by AT&T. I buy my phone outright and am not under contract.:cool:

I have been with AT&T to a very long time and have done this SIM swapping between my usual Blackberry and 5 other phones and NEVER had AT&T say a thing. It is just the first time I did it with an iPhone.

If someone scams my line at AT&T they will take care of it. AT&T likes my money and my company and my 7 employees on AT&T make them happy!:p