iPhone 4S and IOS 8.3

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by bushfilm, Mar 16, 2015.

1. bushfilm macrumors newbie

Just wanted to say, despite the many posts to the contrary, that my iPhone 4S updated to IOS 8.3 and it runs great. All the features work, phone did not slow down, and I'm very happy with my old phone. I would love to upgrade to a 6, but just can't justify the expense, since I am now retired and not using the phone as much. Have a question though, my wife has a 4S, and it will not update to 8.3, stays stuck on 7.1.2. Any reason why this is happening? Thanks!

2. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

iOS 8.2 or 8.3 beta? 8.3 is on beta and one needs to sign up for it (not sure if its limited), iOS 8.2 is publicly available for everyone.

3. bushfilm thread starter macrumors newbie

4. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

7.1.2 technically works faster on the 4s and most folks on here wish they could go back to 7.1.2 on a 4s but certainly the features and security of iOS 8 are perhaps worth having. So if you are happy with how it performs that's what matters AND you will have the most up to date features and security issues patched.

As for your issue, most likely its a space issue. If you plug it into iTunes it will probably update fine as iTunes doesn't need the extra space. Actually that type of update typically works better and is more stable than over the air anyway. So I would try that.

5. bushfilm thread starter macrumors newbie

not iTunes

Actually, I tried iTunes and it wouldn't update. It's an 8gb phone, and the phone phone that works great is a 64gb phone. Is that the reason?

6. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

Quite possibly. Can you tell how much available space you have free? Is there any music or pictures etc taking up a lot of space? You may can try a restore instead of upgrade letting iTunes get a backup first then selecting the backup to restore after its finished. If I recall iOS 8 does take a little more space so if you are on the borderline of being full that could be the problem.

7. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

I just saw your other post in the other thread stating iTunes says its already updated on 7.1.2. Is the an iPhone 4 or iPhone 4s? The 4 cannot update to iOS 8 as its not supported and 7.1.2 is the last version supported on that device.

8. oldmacs macrumors 68040

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejlWDG7KOT4

iOS 8.3 is not that much slower than iOS 7.1.2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU06MwGikwA&spfreload=10

For the amount of complaining about how slow the 4S has become, its not that different from iOS 5 under iOS 8. Certainly slower, but considering the security and feature improvements since iOS 5, it is probably justifiable.

That being said, iOS 8 is just a disaster of an operating system on almost all hardware, so if they made it run nicely on A7 and A8 devices, it would run better on A5 devices.

9. bushfilm thread starter macrumors newbie

Mystery solved!

As it turns out, I finally got the right info on which phone I have, one is a 4S and it updated to 8.2 and works great, the other is a 4, and would not update. So, mystery solved. The 4S is a 64gb version of the phone, and it runs 8.2 smooth as silk, don't know if the large memory helps, but I'm sure it doesn't hurt either. Thanks to all for your input.

10. Richyrich1975 macrumors member

64gb is for storage, both phones have 512MB of RAM which relates to speed.

11. kar120c macrumors member

After a bad experience with IOS 8/8.13 my Iphone 4S 8gb now after a clean install with 8.3 works very well.
    My old issues with GPS and freezing of Siri are now disappeared.